mtbr member
    May 2006

help with 2001 pipeline

I just bought a used 2001 RM pipeline and from what i can see in pictures there should be a fitting in the rear arm across the upper brace for the front derailleur cable tubing to go to and use as a stop. Mine just has four holes in that brace but it does look like at one time a fitting was in one of them. Any ideas on where i can get that piece or who should i speak with. I do not know of any rocky mountain dealerships around my area in western NY.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You could give RM a call (look up their number on their website bikes.com). A pic would really help us understand your problem. Is it something you can fix with a zip tie?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I know exactly what you are talking about. The original piece on mine was made out of some sort of plastic that "extruded" itself through the hole after a while. I replaced the part with a modified stainless steel socket head bolt (#10-32 I think) that I center drilled through to act as a cable guide. A quick/easy way to fix it would be to locate a front brake cable hanger bolt off an old canti setup and drop that in there (so long as it doesn't fall through the hole). Hope this helps. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Hi guys!

Need your help on this one. Ever since RMB stopped entertaining online queries from their consumer, I'm kinda stuck with this. I know the Pipeline has 4 to 6" of adjustable travel in the rear, but what I'd like to know is which setting equates to what amount of travel? I've marked out the 3 points in the attached pic.

I'd be grateful for any kind of help. Also, there seems to be water trapped inside the frame. Even after stripping the frame, I can't seem to find a way to get rid of the water. Where could the water have seeped in and how do I get rid of the annoying swishing sound?

Thanx!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    A is 4", C is 6".
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Thank you very much. Really appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just checked the one on my 02 pipeline and it looks and operates like a wheel skewer but with a heavier spring. I'm trying to figure out the lockout any idea on that?

BT

Lockout? Pipelines don't need lockouts. The "skewer" is just for quick-changes of the wheel travel/leverage ratio.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Lockout? Pipelines don't need lockouts. The "skewer" is just for quick-changes of the wheel travel/leverage ratio.
    I was reading on another post that there was a lockout on the shock. As I'm pretty new to a full suspension bike I was wondering what position the blue lever on the shock needs to be in to make sure if there was a lockout it wasn't locked. In looking at the fox site this is the story:

The compression adjuster is the blue lever. There are three options for lever position for the Vanilla RL. For one option, the lever is at a 45° angle counter clockwise to the shock in the normal position. Moving the lever clockwise 90° increases compression damping. On another option, the
    lever is in line with the shock in the normal position. Moving the lever 180° in either direction increases compression damping. On the third option, the lever is in line with the shock in the normal position. Move the lever 90° clockwise to increase compression damping. The increased compression damping setting will be firm but will “blow off” under a big hit or heavy load.

On a regular RL, the blue lever activates the lockout. RMB has long had custom valved fox shocks though, and since the pipeline being an URT doesn't need a lockout shock, its probably been revalved so that the blue lever varies the actual compression damping range instead of just having the circuit open or closed.