mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fox rear shock, float x ctd

For those that may have the 2014 Fox float x ctd, looking to upgrade my rp23 on my 2010 rocky mountain altitude 70rsl, 150travel. In specific, wanting to have a greater climb capability, stiffer feel. Any thoughts on this helping?

ups and downs
    It should help, but you wouldn't need the X version, the standard CTD Float should be good. The CTD's Climb setting is more locked out than the ProPedal active on the RP23, and the Trail setting would be about the same as the ProPedal on with the RP23. And the D position would likely have better small bump compliance than the standard RP23, more like the Boost Valve version, taking the edge off of square hits.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not sure if I ever said thanks Rocky, so just in case, Thanks. Will let you know if I can notice anything after install.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Okay, ran into an issue. The upper barrel is hitting the pivot bar an 1/8inch before I can get bolt thru. I have the option to simply do some mild dremel work and go with it. However, I am wanting to see if this part is available(and how $$) to buy before potentially trashing it.
    Sent an email to local RM dealer to see if they can get them.

ups and downs
    Do you have a photo?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    Okay, ran into an issue. The upper barrel is hitting the pivot bar an 1/8inch before I can get bolt thru. I have the option to simply do some mild dremel work and go with it. However, I am wanting to see if this part is available(and how $$) to buy before potentially trashing it.
    Sent an email to local RM dealer to see if they can get them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Clearance issue

Here are some pics. The upper portion hits on pivot arms, seems about an 1/8" on both sides.Fox rear shock, float x ctd-002-copy.jpgFox rear shock, float x ctd-003-copy.jpgFox rear shock, float x ctd-004-copy.jpgFox rear shock, float x ctd-005-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If I can find out how much some new pivot arms cost, I may go ahead and dremel some relief just enough to get bolt thru. Thoughts?

ups and downs
    The Float X is a whole different game than the standard Float, it's likely not going to work as well as a standard Float CTD, kinda like the DHX Air on the Slayer SXC. It is duplicating the suspension leverage characteristics so it will likely be a bit wallowy in the middle and end of travel. The shock body on the standard Float has a smaller diameter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was wanting it for local downhill and bike park rides. Everything I have read about it was leading to what I was seeing as positive. Regardless, I am returning it, as I am not sure how much the pivot triangle parts are if I trashed these trying to make the clearance. A friend offered a suggestion on just adding a couple washers as needed, and that was just not to my liking, although it was a good resolution.