mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Which fork upgrade for my 930 element 29er?

If you read my other question, you know I have a new 930 coming from the bike brown truck soon. Got some great info here from rockyuphill ( thanks) so i am hunting again.

The fork on it is a RS recon gold tk with 20mm maxle and a tapered steerer. I like the 20mm maxle idea but i am guessing i will need a whole fork upgrade vey soon.

I really like what i read on the manitou tower pro and i see that they will have a 15mm qr axle option soon. Does anyone know if they will have a 20mm axle option ? I seem to remember reading something online about that but can't find it now.

If i want to retain my 20mm hub on the stock wheel ( i don't have a huge upgrade budget right now) what are my options for a better fork that i won't have to sell one of my kids for. If I went with the TP and 15qr option, can i run a sleeve on the 15mm axle to fit my 20mm hub? If I can even do that am I asking for performance/stiffness loss?

I know the fork on the 950 is a revelation rl 29 with a 20 mm axle, is that much of an upgrade? Maybe I could find a take off.

ups and downs
    I'd be inclined to look for a Fox F29 or Reba RLT if you're going to shoot for an upgrade, but you'd need to see if the 20mm front hub can be converted to a 15mm thru axle.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Since your Recon already has the lightweight alloy stanchions and steerer, could you keep your Recon and upgrade the compression damper to the same one the Reba runs?

I think this would essentially turn it into a reba, but am not 100%.