Shore slayer
    Oct 2006

Flatline Main Pivot Bearing

A friend of mine has a 2011 Flatline. We were taking the frame apart last night to check/re-grease all the bearings. The one bearing that is very much different than the others, is the main pivot (just above bottom bracket shell). As I understand it, this is a "double row angular contact" bearing. I've never seen one of these before, so looking for help.

Both bearings appear to be seized - no inner race rotation in either. There are slight wear marks on the through bolt, so I'm guessing a) they are seized, and b) that it happened recently (likely over the winter since it wasn't being used). All other bearings in the frame spun freely.

Couple of questions.
    1. Is this probable that both are seized?
    2. Are these bearings serviceable? If yes, how do you access the bearings in order to clean and apply new grease? If no, is there a suitable replacement bearing that IS serviceable?

Pictures for reference

Bottom bracket & main pivot area
    Flatline Main Pivot Bearing-flatline_lower.jpg

Main pivot closeup
    Flatline Main Pivot Bearing-flatline_main_pivot.jpg

It appears to be similar to this bearing. There is a retainer ring that holds the ball bearings in place. Not sure how this could be removed & reinstalled and still keep the ball bearings in place. Also don't know how the clip can be removed. And, if the front retainer clip is removed, would it provide access to both rows of bearings.
    Name:  da94dd5a361ae46b4876234e20d0a6f5.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  43.0 KB

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

ups and downs
    Best bet is to replace them. They are a: Ball Bearings: Main Pivot, 15-32-13, 3002-2RS

Here's the tech manual instruction about bearing replacement

Frame and Linkage Bearing Installation:

Warning: This is a difficult procedure that needs to be done by an experienced mechanic. Without a proper press and press-in tools parts can get damaged very easily. If there is any uncertainty understanding this procedure contact Rocky Mountain Bicycles for assistance. 1.800.663.2512

-To begin, ensure that all surfaces are clean, dry and free of any contaminants. It is recommended to use Loctite Primer 7649 on any linkage pieces and the bearings before installing bearings. This will speed the cure time but mostly will ensure proper cure of retaining compound.

-Once the primer is dry apply Loctite Bearing Retaining Compound 638 or red or green Loctite or equivalent to each linkage piece just before each bearing is being pressed in. Ensure that the bearing has completely bottomed out in the linkage before assembling linkage to frame. Again, caution should be taken as these bearings need to be pressed in square to the pivot using proper tools.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Unless you are comfortable with bearing removal and a bearing press don't do this yourself.

I would buy the bearings then take them and rear triangle to an experienced mechanic at a LBS.

They can do that on the spot for a small charge.

Good luck.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys. A little disappointed that they can't be serviced, but nothing is perfect.

No problem with bearing removal and installation. I've done my own a few times and countless moto bearings. We also did a full bearing replacement on his XC bike the day before.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Well, my buddy got the retainer out, but the bearing was seized. Likely wouldn't have been able to access the inner bearings anyway. A new set has been ordered.

I've posted the picture in case it helps someone else out there.

Flatline Main Pivot Bearing-flatline_main_pivot_bearing.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The retainer is hard plastic, which is quite a bit tougher to pull out compared to the more common rubber sides. rockyuphill is right, that's a 15MM ID X 32MM OD X 13MM W. I couldn't verify the actual bearing number. Given the hard plastic in the picture, it doesn't look like it's a 2RS bearing (two rubber seals). Either way, you can order new bearings (in addition to the main pivot, you need four of the 6002 LLB, 15MM ID X 32MM OD X 9MM W) from a few different places such as RWC ($60) or the LBS ($25).