Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fix for loose Slayer front hub?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rager 
#1 ·
I remember reading about this when I got my bike, but my issue is now getting worse. The front hub on my 2012 Slayer is always getting loose, defeats the purpose of having a 20mm thru axle with that much play. Anyone ever find a solution to this?

#3 ·
Seems like the fork is solid, but the hub still moves. Sometimes I can open up the 20mm levers on the fork and reclose them and fixes it, but only for a minute or two before the hub is loose again. The fork itself is fine, doesn't does this with other wheel sets I've tried it with, just the Rocky hub.

#6 ·
The Wheeltech hubs on the Slayers are horrible, and contrary to the token CF in the hub shell, they might as well be boat anchors. Odds are that if you have properly adjusted the fork clasps, everything is clean, and all things being equal nothing is wonky, then your hub should probably be looked at IMHO. The Wheeltech hubs are rubbish.

#8 ·
I too have a 2012 slayer 70 with a wheeltech front hub on the ex500 rim and I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Didn't even take a month of semi-intense riding and the front hub had play that was/is virtually impossible to fix.

I built a front wheel with an EX500 rim and a hope pro II hub and there is absolutely no play. The issue is certainly the wheeltech hub.

#9 ·
I have about 800 miles on my wheeltech carbon hub laced to an EX500 and it is as true as the first day and I haven't touched it other than cleaning. Honestly I'm shocked as I'm not light (185) and don't ride smoothly or slowly.. and its a really light build. Probably hit roughly 150 jumps over 5ft in that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.