mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Excited for the rocky demo day.

Been counting the days until the demo ride this weekend, at one of my favorite trails to boot.

I am currently on a '12 flash 29er alloy, it is an incredible bike. I have had some lefty issues but dread going back to a regular fork. I am also scared at the fact it might have troubles again. A rockshok is a little more user serviceable then my Lefty.

Im dreaming of a lefty/xx1 element 999rsl But that might not be in the budget

I am hoping the have a vertex and a carbon element. I am still debating if I need a FS bike. My race series is pretty smooth for the most part, but my local trails are just horrid for rocks and roots(frustrating trying to keep speed up).

I have yet to ride a FS bike, so I hope its a noticeable difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I came off a FS bike onto a carbon Vertex and will never look back. I really can't compare to too many HT, as I was riding FS for quite a while, but the bike feels as compliant as a HT can. I demoed a Giant carbon XTC before going with the Vertex. No comparison as the XTC was stiffer/harsher and felt much twitchier. The Vertex is smooth and fast. Around the same time a buddy picked up a carbon Element after riding a Stumpy HT and his race times have come down quite a bit. Different strokes for different folks. The demo should be perfect for picking the bike that suits you best, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well it was a good ride. Took an element 970 out .But, it felt very cramped to me. Even with the seat set right my legs felt cramped. The rep let me take his out with another bar (riser) and that felt more familiar. Other then cockpit fit issues the bike felt great and I didnt dislike the the rear suspenion and I didnt notice any bob even when not locked out.

But it didnt wow me like I hoped it would. It didnt appear to make me any faster. Im kinda sad. I had the chance to ride mine in between and I must admit it felt "right". So I guess I will hold on to mine a bit longer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I bought a carbon vertex 4 years ago and left my old cannondale Jekyll alone after that, it was more to do with the weight and handling rather than the ride quality of the vertex, but it does smooth out the trail buzz a lot.
    In the last week I've just got my element 970 after testing out a niner FS on a trail I'd ridden the previous week on the vertex RSL, it wasn't the speed that made a difference but the lack of battering I received over the rocks that allowed me to enjoy the ride a bit more-the loops were only different in time due to the downhill sections, the climbs were pretty much the same to the second. I'd have happily ridden it again on the FS but my kidneys said "enough!" after the HT lap..I also noticed a lot less stiffness on the Monday morning as well. My observation after getting back into FS is that it isn't the panacea to amazing riding, that comes from the trail/company etc. but it does allow you to go further (and as I'm getting older, recover quicker!)

Man, that was wordy for me...sorry
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Well it was a good ride. Took an element 970 out .But, it felt very cramped to me.
    How tall are you and what size frame were you on? Was it a size that matched the top tube length on your current bike?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rep explained they used a shoter top tube with the rtc geometry.

Im 6ft and was on a large. The flash does have a pretty long top tube.

ups and downs
    6' would be right on a large, so it may be the stem length you noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Rep explained they used a shoter top tube with the rtc geometry.

Im 6ft and was on a large. The flash does have a pretty long top tube.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada