mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Element Team RSL Suspension settings

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I just purchased a 2011 Element Team RSL. Needless to say, I am very excited to be getting it very soon. My question to everyone is what do you recommend for the suspension settings or do you have any tuning tips? I live in the Pacific NW and will be racing XC as well as doing some trail riding... and I weigh 200lbs (I know I might be a bit big for the bike but I will be dropping some weight as racing season kicks in).

Thanks for any advice or tips.

P.S.- Is there a rider weight limit for the bike? (Perhaps I should have checked on this before I purchased the bike?).

Again, thanks.

ups and downs
    Your body weight is always a good starting point for pressure, then measure sag. If there is a a rider weight limit, it's somewhere north of 200pounds.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Good call on the body weight. I had heard/ researched other suspension designs and some of them would want you to use 75% of your body weight, etc. That is good to hear about the weight limit potential.

ups and downs
    Certainly some of the test riders have been over 200 pounds.

My frame is supposed to be in my hands by the end of February. I'm in the 195-200 pound range, so I'm looking forward to having all the stiffness present in the Vertex RSL appear in a FS form.

As with any suspension setup, that starting weight is just the place to begin to tweak and adjust. If you check the sag, tinker up or down in 5 psi increments, and try some rides, that should dial it in fairly quick.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada