mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Element ghost shifting

My Element 30 has ghost shifted from new, and after ten or so rides, I'm annoyed enough to do something about it. Specifically, it shifts momentarily into an easier gear after suspension actuation, a dozen or so times a ride. I'm in the UK and without dealer support, so I'll have to figure it out myself. My suspicion is that the outer cable is too short, either under the BB, or at the RD loop. Can anyone tell me if either of these are too short? The back loop looks a bit taught to me, but I'm a poor enough mechanic to not want to recable if I don't have to.

Element RD cable loop by rmccull4, on Flickr

Element RD BB loop by rmccull4, on Flickr
    Last edited by rmccully; 03-06-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added info

mtbr member
    From the looks of it, both seem very short to me. You can try yourself by telling all the air out of the shock and cycle the suspension to see if the outer cable is long enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks, I'll try that. What exactly should I be looking for? That the outers don't move too much? Or should I be feeling the inner for increased tension, at the CS or the little exposed bit between the cable stop and RD bolt?

ups and downs
    If the housing is too short at full travel the outer housing will straighten out the slack loop enough to pull the inner cable tight. The rear derailleur loop looks about normal for a Shadow type rear derailleur, so the lower BB loop is likely the culprit.

The other possibility would be extra cable drag that could be caused by a tight cable stop, a burr on the inside of the cable housing, or a tight cable ferrule. Anything that could hold on to the inner cable while the suspension moves and pulls the rear derailleur down a gear.

Also worth checking the RD alignment, both the RD hanger and the H limit so that it is aligned correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Rockyuphill. I'll check the alignment first. I'm always looking for an excuse to use my Park Tool DAG-2 that I paid a lot of money for but seldom use. Assuming it's ok, how much length should I add to the BB loop, maybe 1-2cm? Any harm in doing the same for the RD loop while I'm at it?

ups and downs
    You want about 1cm of extra slack length on that lower loop when the suspension is fully compressed, if you get too much slack loop it can start to kink when the suspension is uncompressed, and it can start to collect debris. Same with the rear derailleur loop, there will be an optimum length where it doesn't restrict the RD movement in the high or low gear position, and won't get hung up on trail-side debris.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Element ghost shifting-fullscreen-capture-362013-73306-am.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada