mtbr member
    Sep 2012

element bc edition fork air pressure

Hi guys, any bc edition 120mm fork travel riders out there?

I ride an element bc edition mostly in the 120 mm travel position. I rode it all last year and had to have a fork swap mid season. The seals would melt on the stanchions due to high friction coefficient I believe and it would hinder fork response, the crown also creaked. So fox sent me a new tallas with the 2014 ctd upgrade. On that last fork the ctd failed 1.5 months after receiving it and the rear ctd as well. So I sent it back in for service at fox and had them rebuilt and I had both rear shock and fork kashima coated.
    But I still find that the fork sits low in its travel as did the previous forks with the recommended air pressure. I am 6'2'' weight 195-200 geared up ride an XL frame and mostly ride standing position so weight slightly more forward. I don't seem to get full compression travel even with the recommended air pressure. Seated sag seems ok but standing position, I find it sits low in its travel. SO I'm tempted to ad air pressure like maybe 110 pds but then It will sit higher when standing pedalling but I will get even less compression travel. Any suggestions ?

Tks guys

ups and downs
    Set it up based on 25% sag for the way you ride it, and it will all work out if you ride in that position consistently. If you aren't getting full travel, drop the pressure a couple of PSI at a time until you do.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm closer to 220 geared up and I run 105lbs in the forks. Admittedly, this is my first 'modern' fork so I don't have a lot of comparisons, but it feels pretty good at that pressure. I'm running rebound in the middle and compression set softer (#1) when the ctd is in the trail position.

I hope I got all that lingo right. I've slowly reduced spring rates and tire pressures week over week...against my instincts, but tue bike definitely feels plusher and more controllable.