Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Element 999 Ticking Sound

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  edibetta 
#1 ·
I have developed some sort of ticking sound when I pedal and the suspension is moving. All my pivots seem good so I'm not sure what is going on. I can't find a reason for the drivetrain to be giving me an issue. I had a similar ticking sound with my alloy 970 and it turned out i cracked a weld. I can't see anything going on with this frame.

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
Is it more related to the pedaling or the suspension moving? If it primarily happens with the pedaling (regular cadence of tick matches the pedaling) then check chainring bolts, a stuff link in the chain, BB bearing and pedal bearings. If the tick relates to the suspension moving then check for dirt around the cable stops on the cables around the BB and rear swingarm or the possibility of dry pivot bearings.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I thought you weren't supposed to grease the pivots?

I checked the chain ring bolts and most of the drivetrain. I can't recreate it in a bike stand. Seems to be when I pedal and the suspension is moving. I thought bb but wouldn't that not tick?

Cables are all new and clean now.

#4 ·
All the metal to metal contact points in the pivots need to be greased, and Rocky have expanded the service instructions to include greasing the ABC bushings to improve water infiltration and reduce stiction.

If the bearing is dry in the BB, a tick can happen when a bearing rolls over the top.

Is the tick periodic in relation to a left or right pedal stroke?

#9 ·
Is the tick periodic in relation to a left or right pedal stroke?
I'm becoming crazy!
I've checked every pivot, WD40 and white grease but still now when I pedal hard (most of all with a 36 ring front) and the left pedal is down a metallic sound starts even id if stand up or sit on the sadlle.
I've checked also chainrinf bolt but they are all hard thightened.
BB is almost new (1000 km done), chain new rear derailleur (XTR shadow plus) new.

I hope any advice. Thanks

#15 ·
I have a 999.First the seatpost collar will drive you nuts.after cleaning and using tri-flow grease it is better.I use carbon paste on the post.Second. My ticking sound was the upper link bolt.I carried a tool and loosened each bolt until I located it. Just loosen the blot(dont ride) and push up and down. Also I did use tri-flow with teflon on all the bushing and no longer have an issue .It is the same stuff that K2 (with the same type of bushing) used.Wd is not a lubricant and could attack the carbon.

#16 ·
I had an aluminum element frame that clicked. Turned out one of the pivots on the frame wasn't milled well and rocky warrantied it.

These creaks and clicks can be maddening to diagnose. I had one for the last 50 miles on my Instinct. Washed my bike after a muddy ride and now it seems to be gone. Who knows!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.