Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Element 970 handling vs 970 BC edition

Hi all,

Just looking for input, I will be ordering a 970 or a 970 BC edition shortly. I am coming of a 09 spech stumpy fsr (26'') with a 100/120/140 mm fork travel option. It is set to 120mm 99% of the time. I am an ex motocross racer so I like fast descends. I ride mostly XC/trail single track. I have been riding a lot this summer and gotten in better physical shape. I am actually starting to prefer uphills to downhills but still like to go fast downhill.

I had the chance to demo a streched out M size(I am 6'2'' tall so we lenghtened the stem and maxed out the seat post height) BC edition for two days. I was really impressed with the 26'' like handling of the bike. Body positioning was really important given my height but even with the undersized frame I was thrilled with the handling going downhill, cornering and uphills. I curiously never even tried the fork in the 95mm setting I only ran it in the 120mm setting as I wasn't even really interested in a short travel bike at first since coming of a stumpy. But after the demo bike got sent back to Rocky, I just couldn't get it out of my mind and now I'm wondering if the more XC oriented 970 rsl would be a better bike for me. Wouldn't 100mm of front travel and 29'' wheels be comparable to my 120mm fork travel on 26'' inch wheels. This would provide me with a better climbing bike and be as able descending as my present bike. Or am I completely off track here? I do prefer the upgraded components and the double ring of the 970rsl vs the bc edition, on the other hand I do want an adjustable post and maybe the possible 120mm travel up front??? I guess my real question is: is the 970 abilities somewhat comparable to the BC edition or does it feel completely different?

Thanks any opinions welcome

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    Hi all,

Just looking for input, I will be ordering a 970 or a 970 BC edition shortly. I am coming of a 09 spech stumpy fsr (26'') with a 100/120/140 mm fork travel option. It is set to 120mm 99% of the time. I am an ex motocross racer so I like fast descends. I ride mostly XC/trail single track. I have been riding a lot this summer and gotten in better physical shape. I am actually starting to prefer uphills to downhills but still like to go fast downhill.

I had the chance to demo a streched out M size(I am 6'2'' tall so we lenghtened the stem and maxed out the seat post height) BC edition for two days. I was really impressed with the 26'' like handling of the bike. Body positioning was really important given my height but even with the undersized frame I was thrilled with the handling going downhill, cornering and uphills. I curiously never even tried the fork in the 95mm setting I only ran it in the 120mm setting as I wasn't even really interested in a short travel bike at first since coming of a stumpy. But after the demo bike got sent back to Rocky, I just couldn't get it out of my mind and now I'm wondering if the more XC oriented 970 rsl would be a better bike for me. Wouldn't 100mm of front travel and 29'' wheels be comparable to my 120mm fork travel on 26'' inch wheels. This would provide me with a better climbing bike and be as able descending as my present bike. Or am I completely off track here? I do prefer the upgraded components and the double ring of the 970rsl vs the bc edition, on the other hand I do want an adjustable post and maybe the possible 120mm travel up front??? I guess my real question is: is the 970 abilities somewhat comparable to the BC edition or does it feel completely different?

Thanks any opinions welcome
    I demo'd the 950 before buying the 970 BC. I really enjoy the Talas on the BC simply because I can change the whole feel of the bike with a couple switch flips. The 950 felt like a twitchy race bike on the descents with the 100 fork. The BC feels like a sluggish sled climbing in 120. The solution? The BC with the fork in 100 for the climbs and 120 for the descents. Depending on the descent I'll put the rear shock in 'D' rather than 'T' but I've learned that with the fork in 'D' it moves through the travel too quickly.
    I didn't really answer your question but... The Element platform really benefits from the adjustable travel. I'm very happy with my BC choice. (Oh, and every ride on it so far has been everything Pisgah National Forest can swing at a bike. Rocks, roots, switchbacks, 2000' 2 mile descents, you know, mountain biking.) edit* Oh, and also, check out a Large. I'm 5'8" and am on a Medium. At 6" taller than me I'd think you'd have to be shaped like a T-Rex to properly fit a Medium.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

ups and downs
    The BC edition really was developed from the factory team's experience in events like the BC Bike Race and riding on similar trails on the West Coast. In some sections those trails are swoopy loamy singletrack and in some areas on the same trails they are sketchy rock face descents or they involve ladder bridges and other TTF's that call out for a slacker head angle with that longer travel fork.

If the trails you ride are less erratic in their makeup then you might find that the 970 RSL is a better choice.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    If the trails you ride are less erratic in their makeup then you might find that the 970 RSL is a better choice.
    Yeah. What he said.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    I demo'd the 950 before buying the 970 BC. I really enjoy the Talas on the BC simply because I can change the whole feel of the bike with a couple switch flips. The 950 felt like a twitchy race bike on the descents with the 100 fork. The BC feels like a sluggish sled climbing in 120. The solution? The BC with the fork in 100 for the climbs and 120 for the descents. Depending on the descent I'll put the rear shock in 'D' rather than 'T' but I've learned that with the fork in 'D' it moves through the travel too quickly.
    I didn't really answer your question but... The Element platform really benefits from the adjustable travel. I'm very happy with my BC choice. (Oh, and every ride on it so far has been everything Pisgah National Forest can swing at a bike. Rocks, roots, switchbacks, 2000' 2 mile descents, you know, mountain biking.) edit* Oh, and also, check out a Large. I'm 5'8" and am on a Medium. At 6" taller than me I'd think you'd have to be shaped like a T-Rex to properly fit a Medium.
    Thank you vert much for the info, it's pretty much what I wanted to know. If the 20 mm difference in travel on an adequate sized bike made a big difference, as I don't like twichy bikes on descents I believe I will opt for the possible 120mm travel instead of the 100 mm travel only. And Lol at the T-Rex, the M size was the only size available for demo but I'm actually looking at ordering a XL. I guess it would be the most appropriate for 6'2''. Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The BC edition really was developed from the factory team's experience in events like the BC Bike Race and riding on similar trails on the West Coast. In some sections those trails are swoopy loamy singletrack and in some areas on the same trails they are sketchy rock face descents or they involve ladder bridges and other TTF's that call out for a slacker head angle with that longer travel fork.

Hmmm?? now I might be confused again, I wouldn't say they're erratic but fairly technical, rocks, roots, swithbacks, small jumps but I like to bomb down+++. Like I said I've recently also developed a taste for climbing also. So Ideally I'm looking for a great climber that can also take the abuse descending. Which would you say better fit's this description? 970 rsl or 970 rsl BC?

Thanks again for the good input

ups and downs
    Sounds like your trails encompass a wide range of technical features like BC trails, it sounds like a BC Edition would be worth considering. That 1 degree slacker headangle and a 10mm higher BB would be useful on the technical descents and rock crawling.

I have both a 26" MSL (120mm) and RSL (100mm) Element and they have completely different personalities, but it is much easier to ride the 120mm bike on smooth trails than it is to ride the RSL on steep and technical trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks Rockyuphill, I believe I pretty much made my decision on the BC ed.

What is your opinion on the sram shifters, I found the shifting not to be as precise and user friendly as the shimano groups. This is only based on the two demo rides I had on the BC. I believe the gears were well adjusted. It's just that I had a couple of ghost shifts and I somehow got my thumb nick the rear shifter a couple of times causing unwanted shifting which never hapens on my present slx rapid fire. Just a matter of getting used to or is this common with Sram shifters?
    Also do you think one could remove the bc's large front sprocket or is this a bad Idea? I never use the small or large sprocket on my stumpy, I was maybe even thinking of going 1X10 or at least 2X10. What would be the best way of doing this just replace the large ring with a bash guard or...?

Thanks again, I appreciate the input

ups and downs
    I couldn't ever give up the multi-gear up and down shift that XTR shifters provide. I much prefer Shimano to SRAM.

You could replace the Race Face Turbine 42T big ring with a standard Race Face 104mm BCD bash ring and adjust the high limit screw to prevent the shifter from getting there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sounds like a good plan, for the 42T to bash guard. And switch the sram to shimano xtr sounds good!

thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you are falling in love with climbing then go with the 970 RSL. I have a 950 and it's weakest link is climbing (not that it's a bad climber...just not what it does best). I raced one of the roughest MTB courses in CA (Tahoe-Sierra 100) and dialing the fork to 120 on the downhills was more than enough with the big wheels.

I also prefer Shimano over SRAM...but I'm stuck with the stock SRAM drivetrain until it wears out and I have the money to buy a Shimano group. I love my 950, but I would love it even more dressed with Shimano.

ups and downs
    The 970 RSL BC Edition has a Fox TALAS fork adjustable from 90-120mm

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah (on the adjustable fork)...but isn't the BC gonna be heavier, have 3x10 gearing, feel slower uphill? I was just thinking the 970 RSL is gonna pedal better without giving up too much to the BC on the downhills?

I ran most of my tough race in the 95mm fork setting...I think 100mm on the fork will be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's pretty much my question. The 970 is much better equiped in my opinion but I'am worried that the 100mm travel will hurt my downhill control. Plus the BC comes equipped with a dropper post which I need in the single tracks around here. Hard decision, mediocre components with good travel or mediocre travel with good equipment. I'm just wondering how much would the 100mm travel up front handicap aggressive descent speed (bcause the 970 is limited to 100mm travel up front).
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    just get more travel, nobody ever wishes they had less. it's not going to kill you on the climbs. if it does then you're doing it wrong, and you need to get better at riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0 View Post
    just get more travel, nobody ever wishes they had less. it's not going to kill you on the climbs. if it does then you're doing it wrong, and you need to get better at riding.
    Yeah I agree but the bike that has more travel(120mm/95mm) (BC edition) which I would buy because it has more travel is full sram equiped and three rings up front. The bike (970 rsl) that has less travel(100mm) is full shimano and two rings up front. I'm not worried that the 120 mm is going to be to much but I am asking if 100mm front travel on the element 970 rsl is enough for agressive descending b cause I would rather have shimano than sram.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't think 20mm is enough travel to be a deal breaker...100 or 120 are both considered short travel IMO. I'm just saying...100 with 29er wheels feels like more than 100 on the trail.

I think more travel = slacker head tube angle and taller stack height which can cause the front end to wander on steep/punchy climbs. This can be overcome with body position and technique, but it's nicer to NOT have to resort to these tricks when climbing.

If you think you need the dropper seatpost, then maybe you need a bike with more travel, slacker angles, and a 3x10. My trails don't call for that...but I can dial my fork to 120 when necessary. I never feel like my 95mm of rear travel is not enough (but my trails are probably more tame than yours).

I'd rather go with less travel, 2x10, lighter weight, Shimano components, and a bike that is set-up to favor more pedaling and less downhill burl. It depends on how much time you're going to spend pedaling versus bombing downhill...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah I agree but the bike that has more travel(120mm/95mm) (BC edition) which I would buy because it has more travel is full sram equiped and three rings up front. The bike (970 rsl) that has less travel(100mm) is full shimano and two rings up front. I'm not worried that the 120 mm is going to be to much but I am asking if 100mm front travel on the element 970 rsl is enough for agressive descending b cause I would rather have shimano than sram.
    don't buy a frame based on its components, they can always be switched out easily. you're really paying for the geometry and suspension, wheels maybe, the rest is custom to your liking. just sell the sram stuff and switch to shimano for minimal cost.

also I'd rather have a 3x crank because you can swap the big ring for bash guard easily. the dedicated 2x10 doesn't have a good solution for that yet, if you want to run a bash (I always recommend one) then think about that.

given your reasoning I would definitely get the BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys,

Good input, a couple of steps closer to making a decision, just wish I could demo the 100mm front travel comp. to 120mm. Would make the decision a lot easier. Anyway, I checking for cost of mods to the BC ed for the sram/shimano swap and 3rd/bash guard replacement. Still considering the 970rsl but leaning toward the bc edition.

ups and downs
    The other option is buy a 999 RSL frame only and just build the bike up to your own spec. That gets you the carbon rear triangle (BC Edition comes with alloy rear triangle), a Fox rear shock and the ability to spec it out any way you want. Then you can put a travel adjustable fork on the bike and cover off both scenarios.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The other option is buy a 999 RSL frame only and just build the bike up to your own spec. That gets you the carbon rear triangle (BC Edition comes with alloy rear triangle), a Fox rear shock and the ability to spec it out any way you want. Then you can put a travel adjustable fork on the bike and cover off both scenarios.
    yeah but that'll probably get me well over the price range of the 970rsl or bc edition. Buying a bike in parts is usually a lot more $$$

ups and downs
    yeah but that'll probably get me well over the price range of the 970rsl or bc edition. Buying a bike in parts is usually a lot more $$$
    Yep, but it would be exactly like you want from the start. But likely $1000 premium.

mtbr member
    This is exactly what I am doing. Building a bike up from scratch can be done within your budget but you have to be patient and methodical about doing it. If time is not on your side, you wont get the parts for the price you can afford. I've been gathering parts for almost a year. I'll end up with a mix of high end used and new closeout parts. I'm on track to build up a 999rsl with a Kashima Talas shock and xt/xtr parts and crest wheels for close to 4500. I'll try to post up a build thread once all is finalized early next year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Regarding buying the BC edition and stripping it, selling the stock parts, and replacing it with Shimano...

In my experience, that is easier said than done. Strip it, photos, post it, manage posting, maybe pay for ad and losing 9% of selling price (ebay...but not craigslist). You have to find a buyer, hope you get close to the price you're asking, and make the deal in person or ship it out...and on...and on...

And...you are going to pay more for Shimano (versus SRAM)...no doubt.

IMO...decide on the model you want and stick with it...especially if you are on a budget. If you have a lot of money sitting around buy the frame and build it (but accumulating parts for a year doesn't appeal to me).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Buy the Element 970 RSL.
    Buy a dropper post.
    Buy a Fox Talas 90-120mm fork. The frame is identical to the BC edition so it can handle this fork without any warranty issues etc.
    This is everything that you want and the only thing you need to sell is the fork.
    Inside Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    My current rides
    2012 Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Element 999 RSL
    2012 Proto Solo CXR Disc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast