Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JPHcross View Post
    Buy the Element 970 RSL.
    Buy a dropper post.
    Buy a Fox Talas 90-120mm fork. The frame is identical to the BC edition so it can handle this fork without any warranty issues etc.
    This is everything that you want and the only thing you need to sell is the fork.
    Yeah my lbc is checking which option is better for me, great bike shop! I will figure it out when I see the numbers I guess. This modifying of the 970 rsl sounds good but imagine how many cables are implicated in this, remote shock, dropper post plus all the rest... But it is possibly still the best option. I will give you an update of what is the final verdict soon. In the mean time other coments r welcome

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If a new element were in my budget this year, I'd easily buy the 970 RSL over the BC edition for marathon XC racing and technical BC trails. I'd just start riding it and see how you like it in it's stock form. You get a carbon rear (BC is only carbon front and aluminum rear), all Shimano components and can add a Rockshox stealth dropper post if you decide to (BC edition for some reason has the Rockshox post with external cable). If you really decided you needed more travel in front, I'm sure Suspensionwerx or another suspension tuning outfit could add 20mm of travel to the stock fork (I haven't checked this myself).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
    If a new element were in my budget this year, I'd easily buy the 970 RSL over the BC edition for marathon XC racing and technical BC trails. I'd just start riding it and see how you like it in it's stock form. You get a carbon rear (BC is only carbon front and aluminum rear), all Shimano components and can add a Rockshox stealth dropper post if you decide to (BC edition for some reason has the Rockshox post with external cable). If you really decided you needed more travel in front, I'm sure Suspensionwerx or another suspension tuning outfit could add 20mm of travel to the stock fork (I haven't checked this myself).
    If I were to swap or modify the 970rsl fork, I'm not quite sure as to what happens to the remote, can the rear shock be adjusted manually without remote, would I have to remove the remote or maybe just the front cable I guess. As previously stated there would be some serious cable and hardware clutter on and from the bars with a dropper post added?? Will be getting the numbers today to compare the two bike mods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well here it is guys, I just ordered my future ride, my lbc agreed to give me a great price on the bc edition and switch it from Sram to full XT for a couple of extra bucks which is really my Ideal bike without busting the bank. As it turns out my lbc said it would be easier to sell the sram parts than the rsl fork and to a lesser cost to me, so I'm very happy about getting this bike since it was my first choice. All that is left is to ride out the snow with my old bike and studs and wait for the bc edition and nicer weather.

Thanks for the input everybody

ups and downs
    Sounds like a reasonable solution.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Element 970 handling vs 970 BC edition

Curious to know how much extra you had to spend on the change to "full xt" ,-does this mean brakes and gears? With this change: weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I only swapped the gears, shifters, rear shimano xt plus (with stiffening clutch action) drailleur, rear cassette. I will have it weighted tomorrow. Hard to say how much exactly for the swap (I believe they sold me the parts for cost price) b cause the shop gave me an excellent price on the bike, plus labor and kept the sram.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, got much the same speculations on the BC model vs the 970 model, speculating on the benefit of having 120mm travel up front versus the weight/components advantage,- my use will be 80-90% XC, would like to hear input regarding how much the 95-120 mm option in reality means...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I debated a long time between the two but I finally chose the BC edition and am very happy with my decision, no more doubt in my mind. As previously stated, I had the chance to try the BC ed in a smaller size (too small for me) but it was enough to convince me
    of the, in my opinion, superior handling of this bike. And the 120 mm fork is a great part of this. just by holding the bars and switching from 120 to 100 it is easy to feel like you're holding on to two different bikes. I based my opinion on trail testing it mostly in the 120 position. And then if you want the racier feeling, well bring it down to 100. Just read every possible mtb magazines review on the bc ed and you will only find praise. As for the 970 rsl, imo it is also a great bike, but I don't like the large fox remote lever and from what I have seen in the bc handling, it wouldn't even be necessary, I would probably take it off the 970. So we're left with the components sram vs shimano. This is a matter of personal preference and I happen to like shimano more and the weight difference if there is any is well worth it to me. As for weight, mostly from the reverb (having ridden with one for the past two years, I would of added to the 970), fork (superior high speed, ruff handling of the 120 is also well worth it). All in all it is a little bit heavier but it can easily be trimmed down with some carbon upgrades, tubeless,... But not really necessary as it does not feel heavy at all. I, like you, ride mostly XC/trail, love to climb but also like to be aggressive in fast and tech sections. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by kaplanjoe View Post
    Thanks, got much the same speculations on the BC model vs the 970 model, speculating on the benefit of having 120mm travel up front versus the weight/components advantage,- my use will be 80-90% XC, would like to hear input regarding how much the 95-120 mm option in reality means...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Finally got the BC model- many thanks for all the good advice- The XL size is perfect. What a beautiful and nimble bike! Really enjoy the 120 mm option.

So far stayed with the stock build and parts. Regarding the DT 1.6 wheels: Any advice for tubeless conversion - should one go for a DT or other kinds of kits? Which tires are you replacing the stock 2.2 XKing with?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My 970RSL, also with DT 1.6 wheels, came with the DT tubeless rim strips installed and the valves in the 'extras' baggy. The DT rim strips are a translucent red.

So far I've tried Ardent 2.25" LUST tires on these wheels. They set up tubeless easily and securely. Havent' tried my tubeless-ready Schwalbes yet, but will do soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2