BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Element 970 Clicking

My 970 has developed a super annoying clicking sound. It only happens while seated and pedaling. At first I thought it was my seat post and seat so I switched both and the noise persisted. Then I thought it might be a pivot so I took them all apart, inspected the ABC bushings and reinstalled. The noise persisted. I thought maybe the carbon XO cranks were screwed up and I got sick of checking so I took the bike to my local shop so they could give it a once over. They put the bike in the stand and were able to get the bike to make the clicking noise by holding the rear wheel and pushing on the cranks. The only thing is the noise doesn't come from the drivetrain. It is coming from the frame. The shop took my drivetrain apart and inspected the bike and tried to find the source of the sound. They were convinced it was coming from the top tube/head tube so they took my fork off. They then took a plastic stick and stuck it in my head tube and rocked it back and forth. This recreated the clicking perfectly. It seems to be coming from the top tube/head tube. The shop couldn't find a crack inside the frame or out for that matter. At this point the shop didn't know what to do so they put the bike back together and told me to go a Rocky dealer. I plan to drive to one about 45 miles away tomorrow. They plan to inspect the bike too.

I have about 200 miles on the bike and am stumped to what the issue is.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have the click coming from the internal cable routing in the head tube area.

It is because alloy ferrules were used at the end of the cable housing where it enters the frame. Change to plastic and it should be fine....that was the advice on this forum from the Rocky Mountain rep.

I'm waiting until I need new shifter cables before I do it.

Chris.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I will check but I don't think that is it. I had the fork off and the cables out when it was doing it.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So I just pulled off the cables and the housing and the fork and the frame still makes the noise but when I put it back together I did notice that it only makes it when I am in the big ring. It does sound like the cables but that doesn't explain the noise being able to be recreated with no fork or cables on.

I am bringing it in today.

Also I have to add I have rage for the Specialized shop I brought the bike it to because when they were evaluating it they took my rear hanger off and broke the bolt holding it on when reinstalling. Now I have to get another one and of course no one has that because it is really Rocky specific.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sooo I took the bike to the closet Rocky dealer (40 miles away). They heard the noise but said maybe it was the cables. I bought a full set with plastic ferrules and went home and re cabled the bike. The noise is still there in full effect.

Thoughts? I am going to drop it off again tomorrow and have them evaluate the bike and hopefully contact Rocky to see what is going on.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Brought the bike to Jenson. Super helpful. They did a full evaluation in front of me and are handling it from here with Rocky. I should have gone there in the first place but was worried they would be like Performance. I was wrong and had great customer service.

1st shop - Specialized Dealer - Broke my derailler hanger bolt and gave me the bike back with cable hanging off saying go to a Rocky dealer. They then asked the manager what to charge me. The manager looked at the tech like he was out of his mind asking after breaking a bolt and giving the bike back with no cables.
    2nd shop - Rocky Dealer in name only. When I brought the bike in, they asked me how much I wanted to spend on diagnosing the issue. This just turned me off. They did give me a temp bolt for the derailler hanger though.
    3rd shop Jenson - Took the time to recreate the issue in front of me and start the process to contact Rocky instantly.

Hoping for the best. I love the bike.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So turns out I do have a crack. It's on the shock mount and under load makes a clicking sound that sounds like it is coming from the top tube. Rocky is going to replace the triangle.

Looking forward to getting it back. Jenson and rocky have been great.

Hopefully it will be the exact same color. Element 970 Clicking-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350350405.762765.jpgElement 970 Clicking-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350350426.260708.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice to see that you got it figured out. Those types of things will drive you nuts!!

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Got my bike back today and I couldn't be happier. Rocky replaced the front triangle and from dropping Element 970 Clicking-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351383232.686952.jpgbike to picking it up the whole process took 13 days.

Jenson really was awesome. They stripped the bike, built the new one with all new cables and even let me keep a piece of my old frame. The best part is they didn't even charge me a dime for the build. Amazing service.

Here is my new souvenir. First ride on the bike will be tomorrow.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Took the bike out for the first ride today. Everything was great. Did a ten mile loop and the bike worked flawlessly. I am of course a bit paranoid and was convinced on the last climb out I heard the clicking again. I'm not a 100% sure but I inspected the frame and it looked good but I was looking at the welds on the shock mount where it cracked before and I notice that the sides look different from one side to the other. It seems on one side there was more solder used and it looks like it separated a bit but not sure it matters where it is. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I am going to ride again tomorrow and see if it makes any noise.

Element 970 Clicking-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351474766.957360.jpg