mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Element 970 BC 29 size advice- Large or XL?

Element 970 BC size advice- Large or XL?

I need inputs/advice on size, unable to try different sizes before I get to the US,- will probably have to pre-order a fixed size:

I am 188 centimeters = 6.17 feet (6 feet, 2 inches) with inseam of 86 cm=34 inches.

My current bike is a large 26 Cannondale rush, which has a HTT of cm/in of 59.4/23.4 - used with a Thomson setback seatpost.

Thanks-

ups and downs
    You're right on the cusp, the L Element 970 BC Ed has a HTT of 23.7" (605mm) so that's a bit longer than your Cannondale. But the dropper seatposts don't offer much setback, so you're possibly going to be better positioned on a XL.

I'm 6'-1" plus a fraction with a 33" inseam and gorilla arms, I am happy on a Large 26" Element with a Race Face setback post and a 100mm stem, but I just bought a Large Instinct 970 which only has a 23.5" (600mm) HTT and a dropper post with 5mm of setback and a 70mm stem, I was surprised that it felt very comfortable right out of the box. I wouldn't want the cockpit any shorter, but it feels good as it is.

But you're just that much taller that the XL might fit you better.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm a touch over 6'2" and run an 81cm saddle height. My RSL 970 (not the BC edition) is size XL, and fits me perfectly with an 80 or 90mm stem. The stock Turbine seatpost has ~15mm of setback. The fit is good for me for XC racing, marathons and fairly gnarly trail riding.

However... your Rush would be way too cramped for me. Which means that either you prefer a much shorter bike than me (maybe you have short arms), or your Rush is too small :-) 23.4" ETT is short for someone your and my size, especially for an XC/marathon bike. How long is the stem on your Rush? Do you like the fit? If so, then the size large Element would more closely reproduce it.

ups and downs
    The Thomson setback post has 16mm of setback, so that's 11mm more than the Reverb dropper post. If you're making use of all that setback now and have the saddle all the way back in the seatpost clamp, then an XL is almost certainly going to be the better choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great, many thanks for the advice!: I believe I am right on the edge between Large and XL- the stem on my Rush (Cannondale XC3 Si) is the standard length approx 120mm, compared to my height my legs are relatively short. I've got used to the size of my Cannondale, but with this the setback post was definitely needed for the overall fit- perhaps you are right that the XL will fit better. Will primarily use it for XC

Are Rocky Mountains sizes generally small/short?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kaplanjoe View Post
    Great, many thanks for the advice!: I believe I am right on the edge between Large and XL- the stem on my Rush (Cannondale XC3 Si) is the standard length approx 120mm, compared to my height my legs are relatively short. I've got used to the size of my Cannondale, but with this the setback post was definitely needed for the overall fit- perhaps you are right that the XL will fit better. Will primarily use it for XC

Are Rocky Mountains sizes generally small/short?
    Your Rush is too small . A set back post and a 120mm stem (yikes!) are compensation for an ETT that is too short.

Definitely get an XL Element 29. If you feel the reach is a bit much, you can drop a cm or so on stem length. Going the other way (getting an L) would likely force you to lengthen the stem length out to 100cm or more, which sort of defeats the special character of the BC edition.

ups and downs
    The cockpits have traditionally been shorter but also have used shorter stems like 100mm or less, although they have stretched the XC bikes a bit lately (5mm). It's all about getting the cockpit length right.

Because the BC edition uses the short setback dropper post and it has a 70-90mm standard stem length, you're very likely to want the XL to avoid having too much weight forward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am 6'3" and received a XXL Element 970 RSL. I am VERY happy with the fit. I would recommend the XL vs the L.
    Lovin the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Element 970 BC  29 size advice- Large or XL?-img_0092.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Definitely, no doubt, case closed.....XL. I've always ridden a Large but opted for the XL on my BC Edition because of Rocky's sizing....fits great with a 90mm stem. BTW, you're gonna love the bike..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am 192 cm, tested the 20 and 21.5 inch models.

The 21.5 was a much better fit.

I bought a 2012 element 950 6 month ago. Love that bike!