mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Element 950 RSL vs 950 2013 frames

Hi,
    this is the deal, my LBS gave me good price on the Element 950 RSL and the alloy 950 2013 frames.
    ( no way I'm going to spend 2800 for the 990 RSL! that s crazy !)
    But now wich one should I pick? I know the 950 RSL has front carbon with alloy rear and the new Fox CTD shock compare to the 950 frame wich is alloy and with a Rock Shox monarc Rl.... What you all think? I dont think the two frames weight that much different, same geo, just different shock and front carbon.
    What would you pick and why ?
    thanks for your help and advice

ups and downs
    Likely about 3/4 pound lighter for the 950 RSL over the 950 frame.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks Rockyuphill,
    what about ride differences between carbon/alloy and the fox ctd upgrade?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Is the CTD an upgrade? A lot of riders are saying CTD isn't for everyone. The monarch on my 950 has been flawless and I bet it is lighter than the CTD.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have had carbon and aluminum frames...carbon is not worth it (to me). I love my aluminum 950. If you're worried about weight just put down the cookies and lose 3/4 pound.

If you go aluminum there is a lot you can do with the money you'll save. I have also heard and think the CTD is not all it's cracked up to be...not to mention that huge ugly lever that will clutter up your handlebar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks for the advice.
    and yes I'm debating between the semplicity of the RS Monarch rl vs the new fox CTD with extra levers,cables...like Scott twinlock.
    And also like you said price factor, My LBS offer me the two frames with 600.00 diference between the 950 carbon and alloy.
    thanks