mtbr member
    May 2006

Element 950 - RS Monarch Shock

In the past two weeks, I have noticed my Rock Shox Monarch shock has been "losing" 30-50 PSI over a period of 1-2 days. I will set it at 210 PSI and it will usually be around 160 PSI the next time I check it. I check PSI in my shock and fork before most rides. I will not go two rides without checking it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

ups and downs
    Sounds like leaky seals or a leaky valve. You'd expect a 10psi drop when you connect and fill up the pump, but not an extra 20-40psi.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm not a mechanic...what's the best way to go about this? Is this something RS will cover under warranty? I bought the bike in June.

ups and downs
    It should be covered by Rock Shox warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a few shock pumps, so I tried another pump. It wasn't showing a significant PSI drop. Funny thing is...that is my older pump. The pump that is giving me a big PSI drop is the new RS pump that came with the bike.

Sounds like my shock is just fine??

Thoughts, anyone?

ups and downs
    If there is a long hose or a deep fitting on the shock pump, then a sizable amount of air charges that volume up once the shock valve is open when you screw the pump on. Because the shock has a very small air chamber that can result in a big pressure change if you're adding 20% of the shock air volume with the pump. If the old pump has a smaller hose and fitting, the pressure drop will less.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow!...are you a magician? That is exactly correct...longer hose and deeper fitting. I didn't think about the fitting causing that. OK...everything should be cool then. Learn something new every day...

ups and downs
    Hogwarts graduate...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    historeeteacher - i sent you a direct message. had the same issue w/ the monarch on our 950. used the same shock pump on both 950 and 970 rear shocks, so I know it wasn't the pump. but in our case, the delta was 135/140 psi down to 60 or even less where the O-Ring was off the shock. Brad and Lindsay took care of it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK...I had my LBS contact Rock Shox weeks ago. RS said the shock had to be inflated twice...once, then cycle the shock to fill the internal negative chamber, then a second time.

It is still loosing 20-40 psi between rides. I have been inflating it to 210-215 psi and come back for the next ride and it is down to 170-175 psi.

Another thing that is puzzling me...the Rocky Mountain sag indicator lines on the top of the shock link say my psi is correct, but the o-ring on the shock is showing about 50% sag. Which one should I trust?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Seems odd that it's taking this long to get it replaced.

I'm can't speak for others, but I usually just see where the O-Ring is after certain sections of trail/after a ride. If I've used pretty much most of my travel and I think the bumps warrant that, I feel like I have the psi right. If i feel it should be more plush and I haven't quite used all of the travel (or if I used all of the travel, or the rear O ring came off), I add more PSI... usually in 5-10 pound increments.

That said, I should probably pay more attention to adjustmens/rebound.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I never sent it in...I am just following RS trouble shooting. I am playing with it...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    When we had the issue a few months back, 3 Ring suggested that it should be covered under warranty and handled it from there. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, it's official...no matter what I do, my RS Monarch shock continually loses 40+ psi between rides. It doesn't matter if it's 48, 24, 12, or 2 hours...after every ride my shock is down the same amount.

I have asked my LBS to contact RS...again. It shouldn't be a problem...I have tried everything RS recommended over the last 2+ months without positive results.

I did read on this RM forum that it was a pain for some to re-mount the shock after it was removed for service/replacement. Can anyone offer tips to make this easier?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well...took shock off and dropped it off at LBS to have shock sent to RS. It was sent last Friday (Oct. 12). My LBS called to get an update and RS said it would arrive next Tuesday (Oct. 23). RS said they rebuilt the shock. I am pleased with the quick turn-around. I hope this is marks the end of my issues.

***When removing the shock I noticed that the spacers at the shock eyelets were not evenly centered when pressed in. The top and bottom eyelets were opposite of each other...meaning more spacer was coming out of one side of the eyelet at the top and more spacer was coming out of the opposite side of the bottom eyelet. Obviously, the shock was not sitting centered when mounted in the frame. There is visible wear on the shock body and shaft around the eyelets

Has anyone ever heard of this? Who presses those spacers into the eyelets...RS or Rocky Mountain?

mtbr member
    What are you doing/supposed to do to "cycle the shock to fill the internal negative air chamber?

Just pump it up, go for a ride or bounce up and down on the saddle and pump it up again?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pump it to desired psi...remove pump and sit/stand on bike..."bounce" up and down a few times...pump to desired psi again...go ride.