mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Element 950 O rings on chainstay

Mine finally snapped. What seize do I replace them with?

Tx.

ups and downs
    The O-rings are 20mm ID x 1.25mm W Nitrile Rubber and 14mm ID x 1.5mm W Nitrile Rubber. Those aren't really common sizes 1.0mm wide is more common. Someone else here found some silicone rubber versions that were 1.0mm wide.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Those are pricey, any one else has suggestions?

This looks like a good chart.

Scroll down a bit

Buna O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Round, Black (Metric): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looking at the 2013 tech manual I see where you got that info RM.
    I noticed the first snapped one the chain stay by the axle.(assuming that is the 14mm one)

I don't see that in the cut out at all. So to get this straight the 14mm are on the pivot at the rear axle and shock mount. The 20 MM is at the pivot next to BB?

Thanks for your help always.

Thinking about getting the 14.5 mm so much cheaper. Do you think those will work?

ups and downs
    They need to be a snug fit around the angular bushings to help keep the mud and dust out of them. 14.5mm might be a little looser fit by enough to let water in.

The 20mm x 1.5mm O-ring will also be squeezed a bit tighter than the factory 1.25mm thick O-ring between the suspension pieces so it may end up getting bunched up and shearing sooner if it's this hard a rubber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good thing is I ride in super dry socal. When the trails are wet they are unrideable due to very sticky mud.

You think those bushings will be fine in a very dry climate without the o-rings?

I think the moon dust we have here will get in regardless of o-ring or not.

I never hose my bike down, don't want to create a grinding paste.

I get it I will just spend the money and take the whole thing apart. time to check those ABC;s again anyway.

What is the average time guys are getting out of those.(Just passed 220 hours on my bike)

How much is a replacement set?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How come RM does not have those in stock for a reasonable price. Kind of strange they use these obscure seizes and we need to chase them down.

Don't get me wrong I love my element 950 but things like this makes me want to switch brands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am buying the 14mm x 1.5mm ones, I get a grand total of a 100 of them, if someone has the 20 mm I will be more then willing to trade a bunch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anyone up for trading. I'll take 4 20 mm ones, you get 16 14mm from me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The 14mm came in but seem way too small. Unless the Original stretched a lot, are we sure these are supposed to be 14mm.

Why is sand wedge talking about 17mm?

Where exactly do we put those 14mm rings. where chain and seat stay meet and lower axle of link?

ups and downs
    Did you end up with 14mm OD rings instead of 14mm ID? The 14mm ID rings are 17mm OD.

Judging by the quantity of 8, it looks like the chainstay and swing link pivots are the 20mm ID x 1.25mm rings

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    The 14mm came in but seem way too small. Unless the Original stretched a lot, are we sure these are supposed to be 14mm.

Why is sand wedge talking about 17mm?

Where exactly do we put those 14mm rings. where chain and seat stay meet and lower axle of link?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Element 950 O rings on chainstay-element-o-rings1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The O-Ring Store has 1.5mm X 20mm ID Buna-N 70 O-rings for $0.15 each. I haven't tried them yet, but that's where I'll start.

1.5mm CS : The O-ring Store - O-rings, Seals, Kits, in Metric and Standard Sizes, We make placing your O-ring order and getting your O-rings Online easy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My bad, ordered the wrong one's. Thanks again for your help Rocky. I will return the 14 mm and order 20mm orings. Hopefully they will last a while, even if they are not the right size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So got all my o-rings, now where does that 14 mm go? Hopefully the .25mm does not make a big difference.

They feel flexible enough to last.

keep you guys posted!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Learux, the 14 mm goes around the internal cable stop. That's the piece that cable housings exit the down tube from. I just pulled my cable stop out this morning and it does have an o-ring around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK that what I thought looking at the diagram. I have a 100 of them. I tried to return them but amazon said no thanks we'll refund you the money and keep the rings.

Pm me if you need a couple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just replaced the o-rings on seat stay put some extra's on there. Barely noticeable and easy to slide on in case they brake.

The fit is real good. Think that the .25mm is not making any real difference. I'll keep you guys posted how they hold up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Are you guys finding the 1.5 mm thickness to work ok (part list says 1.25 mm)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes, fits fine. Can't really tell the difference. I ride really dry and dusty trails only.

Zero wear detected on any of the parts involved.

This bike is still awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, I somehow missed your post previous to mine...the one that answers the question I asked....D'oh!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been pretty happy with my 950, but I agree with a previous post...I am getting tired of the hurdles to keep it running. I have learned how to perform all service to the frame, but it's kinda hard to keep it creak-free (not to mention little things like the o-rings). I'm married to this frame for another 4-5 years, but I may be looking elsewhere when it comes time to replace it.