Thread: element 70 MSL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

element 70 MSL

I have only been riding for about a year. I bought an Airborne Goblin and have really gotten hooked on xc riding. I live in DFW area in TX, so we don't have a lot of crazy downhill stuff, but a nice mix of trails. I think there are 19 or so within 2 hrs of me that offer some good riding. Anyway I did a demo ride a few months ago and I rode a BC edition Element. I fell in love with that bike. It's a little out of my price range, but I have come across a 2012 Element 70 MSL that would be within reach. Would it be worth the 3K for that bike? Geometry seems pretty close to the Element 950 I rode. Every review I see seems to be good. Thoughts from anyone that owns one or has ridden a few offering from RM?

mtbr member
    Huge difference between a 26 and 29, are you sure you have enough ride time between the two to make a educated decision?

ups and downs
    I have ridden an Element 70 MSL for two years now, I had a chance to test ride an Element 950 last summer back to back on the same trails at Mont Sainte Anne as I had ridden the MSL on. The Element 29" wheels do better at blasting across roots and rocks, and is great where you can keep your speed up, but it is not as nimble as the 26" wheel bike on real tight and twisty stuff.

The Element 70 MSL is a very comfortable and confidence inspiring trail bike, I actually found my technical skills improved on the Element 70 MSL compared to riding an Altitude 90. For a 26" wheeled bike it has become my fave of all my bikes.

But if you have a love affair going for the 29" wheels on the BC Edition, and could benefit from keeping that momentum of the big wheels, then there is no comparison with the 26" wheeled bike, the big wheels will glide over stuff that will try to stop a 26" wheel.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 04-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks that's what I was looking for. I may need to ride a 26 a little and see. I do have a love affair with my big wheels though! haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've been riding a Element 50MSL since Sept and love it. I have demo'd 29ers but just can't seem to get into them. Recently I had the chance to ride a new Altitude and fell in love. If you're not really sure about a 26 and like the bigger wheel check out the 27.5er. Might be what you're looking for.
    LOVE THE RIDE!