mtbr member
    Nov 2004

element 50 shifting woes

Got an element 50 msl with xt deraileurs and slx shifters. When i have it in the middle chainring and the 2 or 3 bigger cogs in the rear it sometimes seems like it is jumping and shifting gears by itself. Anyone else experience this? Any known cause or adjustment? Lbs has adjusted hi lo screws. If the chain is stretched will this cause the issue?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

ups and downs
    Pedaling forward or backwards? When the 10 speed drivetrains are new they can walk off the bigger cog when backpedaling until the chain wears a bit.

Sounds more like the rear derailleur cable housing might be too short, or getting kinked or caught in something.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Forward. Every now and then when i coast on a short downhill and then go to pedal on the uphill section it will jump. Not so much in the big ring in the back but the next two cogs. It doesn't always jump but makes the sound like its changing and you can feel it in the pedal action.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check cassette for wear on those 2-3 gears . I had a similar issue and replaced cassette then the problem was gone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ups and downs
    Also check the derailleur hanger and make sure it's not bent.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada