Thread: Element 50 MSL?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Element 50 MSL?

I'm looking at the Element 50 MSL Jenson has on sale. Any input on ride quality? I'm currently riding a 2010 Specialized FSR. Aside from the weight difference (carbon vs aluminum) what can I expect to feel? The specs on the Element are a lot better than what I'm currently riding. I'd be going from a Tora fork to a Fox, and from an X-Fusion shock to a Fox RP2. Any input would be great. I can't imagine passing it up but want to hear what it's riders say.

ups and downs
    The Element MSL rides extremely comfortably, not mushy but very supple, there's no noticeable pedal kickback, the bike climbs great, keeps the rear wheel planted on technical climbs. It feels very confident getting through obstacles on trails.

And It's very light, my 70 MSL is down to 22,8 pounds, so the frame is worthy of serious upgrades to drop weight. That Jenson price is great, that's about the cost of the Element Team RSL frame only.

It handles this stuff very well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Element 50 MSL?-2012_0818new0002.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Element 50 MSL?

Rocky uphill, as far as weight would you think the 50 MSL roughly be around the 26 lb range? Just curious. I'm sure it will be significantly lighter than what I'm riding now. Looking at the specs on the bike listed on Jenson would you suggest upgrading anything or ride it like it is until it needs replacing. I didn't really see anything that was a low key spec. I've never ridden formula brakes so I guess I'll just have to see how they perform compared to Avids. Thanks for the input.

ups and downs
    26 pounds sounds about right. Wheels would be the first major upgrade as the DT X1800 wheels are in around 1800gms but everything on the bike is a pretty good balance of price/weight, so you can just ride it until you have a flare up of upgradeitis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks rockyuphill. Guess I'll pull the cc out and make the purchase. I'll post up my thoughts after I get a few rides in.

mtbr member
    I think you wont be diapointed , I have the 2011 and love it, I have rode some rough stuff and it handles it fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Element 50 MSL?

Rockyuphill and hags707, just wondering what size you are riding? I'm a shade under 6 foot. I was looking at the 19.5" frame. The geometry and dimensions are pretty close to what I'm riding now.

ups and downs
    I'm 6'-1" and ride the 19" frame with a 25mm setback seatpost and 100mm stem. I wouldn't want it any smaller. If it matches your current bike's cockpit and that fits well, I'd go with that sizing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Element 50 MSL

That's what I thought but wanted your feedback. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I am 6'2 and ride 20.5 frame with 60mm stem and it fits me good

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Good job!

As I posted in the Creaking Element 50 thread, I just got my alloy 2012 Element 50 from Jensen.

I am six-feet exactly. 33" inseam, 34" arms. I went with the 19". My prior FS bike was a 20" Giant, and the dimensions feel nearly identical. I will go with a shorter stem than the 115 that shipped with the 19". 100-110mm will be fine. I had to go down to a 60mm stem on my 19" 2011 RM Vertex SE; even the 19" feels like other manufacturer's 20.5".

I really considered the MSL. But, at this point I just couldn't swing and/or justify the extra $800 on carbon. I'm a little scared of having a full carbon MTB frame with the gnarly rocky falls one takes here in Colorado. I bet it rides like a dream, though.

Aside from installing the handlebar and seatpost, the bike was essentially assembled. Seat was already on seatpost, grips and controls already on handlebars. Just needed pedals and appropriate pressure in tires and suspension.

I assumed the Element was roughly on the same component plane as my Vertex SE 29er. So, I was a little surprised to see a Rock Shox Reba instead of the Fox 32 that came with the Vertex. Also surprised no through-axle front end, as I have gotten used to that on the 29er.

My alloy Element is probaly 1.5lbs lighter than the Giant Trance that it replaces. I'm guessing 27.5lbs in its current incarnation. I added Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars and Ti-railed Terry Fly saddle. Of course, pedals and ergon grips more than make up for those tiny weight savings.

Enjoy it, I bet it will be a thing of beauty when it arrives!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Element 50 MSL

Got my Element in on Tuesday. All went together pretty well, not that there was a lot to assemble. Taking it out for it's first ride tonight. First upgrade will be to throw on a set of Conti Trail Kings. The Ikons just don't have enough tread for where we ride. I'm sure I'm going to have to play with the suspension so once I get it dialed in I'll post up my thoughts. Definitely a great looking bike.

mtbr member
    Let us what you think when you get some saddle time, I am sure you will love it

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Had the Element out Saturday and Sunday. Both rides were great. Sweet going thru turns and sweeps. Pedals really well uphill and really tracks going downhill. Still need to play with air pressure in suspension, and definitely need to cut the bars. Kept hitting trees where I was riding. A little too wide for my taste. May also swap out the Ikons for Conti Trail Kings. Ikons really hooked on my Saturday ride where it was hardpack. Sunday ride had a lot of roots and leaves mixed in on the trails. Needed some extra grip. Other than that I'm really glad I took the plunge and got it. Riding the Element after my Specialized I felt like I was on a rocket. I was taking sections quicker and cleaner than before. Not to put down the Spec but by loosing some bike weight and better suspension with a better component group, the Element is way ahead of my Specialized. Will post up more ride reports. Heading out this Wenesday and Thursday, and Saturday and Sunday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Got in aother ride last night on the Element. Gets better the more I ride it. Did notice what a few people have said about the brakes : they tend to howl when you get on them. Nothing I can't get use to. They do work as I found out when I had to hit the front or risk hitting a tree head on. Instead I ended up over the bars. Doing another night ride tonight and riding Saturday and Sunday. Really liking how it takes the turns and how it climbs.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mine shipped today from Jenson! Such a great deal I couldn't see how I'd pass it up. Should be here in a few days.

I'm coming from an older Cannondale hardtail. Looking forward to playing with more suspension...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You are going to be amazed at how light and nimble it is. I've swapped out the stock Ikon tires for some Trail Kings and it has really helped get some better grip for climbing. The suspension is pretty well balanced, and you can't beat the components. The Formula brakes grab pretty quickly so you may have to get use to that, and they make a funny sound every now and then but they do work really well. I'm planning on swapping out the stock DT Swiss wheelset for a WTB i23 wheelset I have with Hope hubs. Was planning on putting this on my Specialized. Wheelset is lighter than the DT Swiss, so this should drop a little more weight. Other than that no sense in spending any other money. Ride and enjoy. Let me know what you think after you get a few rides in. I love mine for what I ride, which is mostly XC with some roots, rocks, single and doubletrack, and stream crossings. It's made me a better and quicker rider.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I rode the element for the first time today. I feels like cheating! It climbs about the same as my old hardtail, maybe a little better because the rocks don't throw off your rhythm. Descending is almost easy. I rode through the Santa Monica mountains today and there are a few rocky descents that used to give me trouble. I basically just rode down, it was amazing! I stopped looking at the rocks in front of me and was looking down the trail to pick my line. It used to be terrifying on the old cannondale.

Awesome bike, awesome price. I can't see why anyone would get anything else... lol

One small complaint. The tech at Jenson who build the bike decided to use grease instead of carbon assembly paste. I had to deal with a slipping seatpost all day. I'm off now to remove the grease and do it right...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Glad to hear you "love the ride". I've been riding mine 3-4 times a week since I got it. I've put on a set of VP Components 001 flat pedals which have basically eliminated any pedal strikes. I may change out the brake pads to try to stop the brake noise but then again I have Avids on my other full squish so I should be use to the noise. Keep riding and post back if you notice anything.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had another "epic" ride on the element yesterday. 28 miles of trails and fireroads. I have to say that I really didn't feel beat up at all when I was done.

I installed my Time Atac Titans and an Adamo Peak saddle. It was my first ride on the Peak and I have to say it's my new favorite saddle for mtn biking. There is no junk pressure when climbing or spinning through some rolling hills and the rear of the saddle is long enough to where you can really move your weight back but stay seated to make the rear wheel stick those nasty downhill sections. I can't say enough good things about it. I have adamo's on my road and TT bikes and they are good, but on the mtn bike it's just amazing!

The stock tires work well for me on our dusty trails and the only other component change I think I'll make is I'll swap out the seatpost for a Thomson setback.

Warning! Check how the front brake line is routed. Jenson didn't install mine correctly and before I fixed it, it was rubbing on the tire on compression.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've been thinking of also swapping out the seatpost, just to set it back a touch. I checked the routing of the cables and adjusted them before I did the first ride. No rubbing. I did put a strip of clear protective tape underneath the downtube to protect from flying rocks.
    LOVE THE RIDE!