mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Element 29er - Which frame size?

Hi All,

Just after a little bit of advice. I just about to order a new Element 999 RSL and would like to double check i'm going for the right frame size.

I've heard on the grapevine, that if you go for a 29er you should consider droping the frame size down. Not sure if this is correct though.

Anyway, im 172cm (5'8") with a inside leg of 81cm.

On all 26" bikes im previously owned before, i've had a Medium (17.5"-18") frame.

Much appriciate your input with this.

Many thanks,
    Steve

ups and downs
    Always size the frame for top tube length, seat height you can adjust. I ride the same top tube length frame in a 29" and 26" XC bike. The seat tube length varies but the top tube is what gives you the fit. If you're buying bikes for different purposes like XC and DH, that would be different, but you want to maintain your relationship between saddle, pedals and bars for the same type of riding.

Check the HTT spec on your previous bikes if they have fit comfortably and match the HTT length on the Element 29.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for your comments rockyuphill.

Unfortunately all my bikes were stolen a few weeks ago so i have nothing i can measure the geometry of and compare against, and work out like for like set up. Ive go to start from stratch with this one. Looking to get a frame and build it up.

Any further advice would be much apprecited.

ups and downs
    If you don't have the bikes, check those manufacturer's websites for the geometry/specs for the bikes you had to get the HTT length.

mtbr member
    Can you go to an LBS and get sized? Certain people are longer in the leg dept, certain in the torso. I would caution you against this "size down due to 29er" meme. I'm riding my usual size AND LOVE IT!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm the same size. I've had 18" (medium) 26er Elements and now have a 17" (medium) 999RSL 29er. You should definitely get the medium.

ups and downs
    And the Medium 26" Element frame has a 585mm HTT, and the Medium 29" Element has a 582mm HTT. So that does emphasize the point that you should always pick your frame size based on the HTT length.

The Medium 26" frame seat tube has a 457mm length and the Medium 29" frame has a 432mm length, but all the 26" frames have the same 736mm stand over height, and all the 29" frames have the same 771mm stand over height.

mtbr member
    I am just a hair over 5'8" and test rode both the Large Element 29r and the medium Element 29er. I ended up ordering the medium 999rsl and currently have it built up with a 100mm stem and a 15mm setback seatpost and that setup feels great for me. I do prefer a more xc oriented setup for riding. On the large size I definitely felt too stretched out. I did not even consider a small.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Element 29er - Which frame size?

Double, triple check your sizing. I am 6' 1" and i found the lrg 999rsl too small. Also, the LRG is listed as an 18.5 on the box it ships in.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 5'6" and have a small Element 970 and loving it. My wife is just under 5'9" with long legs and riding a medium. I think you probably called it right. I get on the medium and while I could ride it, it's too big... probably what you felt on a large. Enjoy the new ride!