mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Element 10 Build Issues / Creaking

I'm having some issues with a ping/tick noise that sounds like it comes from the front. Recently there is an intermittent creak noise when pushing the pedal hard, which sounds like it comes from the rear possibly the crank area. I checked over the bolts and the 10mm crank bolt was loose. Even after tightening the bolt the noise is still there. The bike has around 30 miles on it with half of those miles on single track trails.

I had ordered the bike online and they were to build the bike and ship it to me. When I received the bike the shifters were completely out of adjustment. Additionally when I set the preload on the headset top cap and tightened the stem I could take the play out of the bottom, but at the top end you could feel slight play when holding the dust cap. If I made it any tighter the bars would not turn freely.

After a reading a number of posts I learned that were where shims below the dust cap that could be the issue. I replaced the two 0.25mm shims with a 0.5mm and a 0.25mm and was able to remove the slight play from the top and still turn the bars freely.

As part of the bike build are they supposed to check the bolts and make sure the proper shims are fitted to the headset? Or should all that be correct from the factory?

On a side note the stock grips slide towards the brake / shift levers every ride. The end caps are not part of the grip so the grip easily slides around. I ordered some Odi Rouge grips, but it is annoying on a new bike the grips slide around.

EDIT:

I decided to take a closer look at the crank. When I removed the bolt that was loose with a 10mm hex there is an 8mm bolt just under that is tight. The 8mm is what bolts the crank together. From reading the 10mm bolt is used to help extract the crank. So while the 10mm was loose the 8mm is tight so my crank isn't loose.

I've been standing on the pedals while with my arm against the wall. Occasionally when bouncing I can hear a pop/creak. It happens more often if I sit on the bike and put some force against the pedal. With the bike not moving it feels more like a suspension joint is shifting slightly. However when I put a wrench on them they all seem to feel tight.
    Last edited by rsw686; 08-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.

ups and downs
    The bike is shipped in a box from Rocky 95% built when the shop gets it, the things they do are the same thing you have to do to when you get it out of the box, so the likelihood is that they didn't touch it before it was shipped to you.

Pings and creaks are typically a lack of grease on the main suspension pivot bolt, that would typically be part of customer service by the shop that sold it to you.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I would definitely go over every single bolt with a bike bought from an online store, I know I did with my Slayer70 I got from Jenson, and I was glad I did! For the ticking, double check that the chainring bolts are tight, and the seat clamps too. Both of those were really loose on my Slayer and led to creaking, nice and quiet once I tightened those.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Pings and creaks are typically a lack of grease on the main suspension pivot bolt, that would typically be part of customer service by the shop that sold it to you.
    The main suspension pivot bolt is the one that goes through at the bottom of the frame behind the crank? What is the procedure for greasing this and what kind of grease should I use?

ups and downs
    That's the one, the main pivot near the BB. Here's a link to the technical manual that has the info on lube, bolt torque, use of Loctite etc. http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/2...ANUAL-Jan9.pdf

You want a good sticky synth grease like Pedro's or Phil Woods, something that can take some pressure and not just squeeze out or melt out when the weather gets warm. All metal to metal contact should be greased, but the Igus bushings shouldn't be greased.

Quote Originally Posted by rsw686 View Post
    The main suspension pivot bolt is the one that goes through at the bottom of the frame behind the crank? What is the procedure for greasing this and what kind of grease should I use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for providing the manual link. I can easily access one side of the bolt. It looks like I need to remove the crank or chainrings to access the other side. What is the easiest method to pull the bolt so I can grease it?

ups and downs
    Once you get the retaining bolt a bit loose, you can give it a tap to get the pivot bolt moving and then remove the retaining bolt and use a 1/4" socket extension of similar blunt widget to tap it out to the ND side. It should go out fairly easily if the weight of the wheel is taken off the swingarm.

Here's a link to the service video https://vimeo.com/40633881

l
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw686 View Post
    Thanks for providing the manual link. I can easily access one side of the bolt. It looks like I need to remove the crank or chainrings to access the other side. What is the easiest method to pull the bolt so I can grease it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I understand that part, but the bolt head is blocked by the front derailleur and chainrings. It looks like I have to remove the chain, cranks, and front derailleur to get to the bolt. Or am I missing something? This is a lot of work for a month old bike.

Element 10 Build Issues / Creaking-img_0891.jpg

mtbr member
    You're correct, you nee to remove all those things to access that bolt.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

ups and downs
    There should be a notch in the FD chain plate just big enough to get an Allen wrench through and the pivot bolt comes out the ND side. so you could leave the FD on, but it is likely just as easy to remove the FD for ease of reassembly.

This would normally be done under warranty by the LBS that sold it to you, that's the one downside of online sales.