Thread: Element 10

mtbr member

Element 10

I'm about to lay money down on one this weekend. An 07 leftover in Patriot Blue. $1050 with tax included.

If you've owned one or own one now tell me all your thoughts on them before I do this deal. Or as a new trail rider, should I spend less on a lesser bike first then get a better idea after riding for about a year on what it is I might really want in my bike?

ups and downs
    same question posed here last week...

Thoughts on Rocky Mountain Element 10

chukarhntr1
    Nov 2007
    That's a good deal for that bike. I don't think you can go wrong. I paid about $400 more for the same bike last spring. In the price range I don't think you will find anything better. Just make sure it fits you. It has a short top tube.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. What type of riding do you do with your Element 10? Are you hard on it? How's it held up? What would you change about it now that you've had it for a while? And lastly, would you think that buying a better components hardtail for similar money ($1000) to be a wiser decision for a newbie like me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by demonbydesign
    And lastly, would you think that buying a better components hardtail for similar money ($1000) to be a wiser decision for a newbie like me?
    Like what? Trek/Fisher, Giant, and Specialized don't have a better spec'd hardtail for $1k as far as I can tell, at least at full MSRP. I'm a newbie too, and wrestled with the whole FS vs hardtail question. My take on that is I figured I would be more comfortable and enjoy myself more on a FS bike. Maybe I'd be a better rider by progressing through a hardtail first, but I'm out there to have fun and get exercise, and am not worried about winning races or getting the lightest and highest spec'd bike out there. I rode an old rigid bike all summer before picking up my new RM ETSX-10, and I tell you, beating yourself up in the name of smoother riding isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Maybe after a year of riding you'll find you do want something different in a bike, but I think this bike would be a great place to start, especially at that price.

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the thoughts. I'm like you in that I want to enjoy ride experience as much as possible and I'm not after competing of anything.

As far as the hardtails in that price range? From what I've tried I like the Fisher Marlin disc, the Rockhopper pro disc, and also the Fisher Wahoo disc as well. I think your right that component wise they are no better AND lack the suspension. BUT they all are lighter bikes by a couple pounds. Not that I noticed the weight on the Element 10 as it seemed to be the fastest bike I tried out.

I guess I'm still not trying to spend that much for my first mountain bike without being certain I'm gonna love it on actual trails. Plus I'm a little worried about the service on Rocky Mountain products. I do feel more comfortable with Specialized and Fisher/Trek when it comes to that.

I originally intended to budget $500 for a new bike...till I started to learn about it more. I almost wish I didn't get on any expensive bikes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm with you there. I started by looking at $700 hardtails. However, before I bought a new bike, I bought the old rigid bike from a friend of a friend and rode that around the trails this summer to make sure that I would enjoy the sport. If you're completely new to the sport and don't have a bike now, it could be sensible to start off with a lower priced bike, perhaps a nice used one off craigslist for $2-300. Ride it for a few months and then make the decision later as to what suits your budget and riding style. At the same time though, can you afford to spend hundreds on a new bike only to find out later that you want/need an nicer full suspension bike? I know I can't, so I figure I would take the plunge and go all the way to begin with. I have a solid frame, and I got a good price on the bike. I could spend a few hundred and make it even better if I want down the road. If you start with a low-mid end hardtail, you may not have something worthy of upgrade later, and you still won't have suspension in the rear.

chukarhntr1
    Nov 2007
    As was said earlier, you probably won't find a better spec'ed hardtail for $1000. I think the Element 10 this year MSRP's for around $1800, so $1000 hardtail probably won't be better that way.

Although it is heavier than a hardtail, I find it faster on the descents, rocky flats, and just as fast on the climbs. I am not a real agressive downhill rider, so it works great for me, but I love to climb. The bike is a quick handler and you will find youself riding faster on cross country trails with this bike than a hardtail.

As I stated earlier though, make sure you like the fit and feel. It is a lot different fit than other bikes I test rode.

Good luck and have fun riding it. You won't be sorry you bought it.

A quick word about the service. I have had poor service with Trek. I think the service is only as good as the shop you buy the bike from. Don't worry about the manufacturers service and warranty as much as how the shop will treat you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That sounds like a good deal to me.

I have an Element 10 and think it makes a great trail bike and a worthy entry level race bike. The ride is a bit more upright than other I have ridden, but it seems to fit me well. The E10 is a bit on the heavy side, it weighs about 30 pounds, but the frame is certainly worthy of some upgrades down the road as you wear stuff out.

I was considering a new bike but the more I ride the more I want to keep the Element.

I plan on upgrading the fork (rockshox SID), bars (easton sl carbon), crank (I have an LX 580 crank laying around here somewhere) cassette (XT), wheels (whatever light wheels and tires I can get a good deal on-maybee the FSA300sl?) and seat (something light). This should get her down to the 25-26# range.

Anybody know the weight difference betweent the element 10 frame and the upper end elements?

Thanks
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX