mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Easy Travel Suitcase Extreme

The ETSX seems to be a bit of a red-haired step child. It definitely isn't the best bike in the world, or even the best bike that Rocky has ever built, but...

...it just might be the travel bike ever

Behold the Easy Travel Suitcase Xtreme!

This is an 18" frame and it wouldn't fit with a headset that's larger in diameter than the RF Deus that's on it. I don't think a 19" would fit. I also had to remove the 48T ring and move the top-swing derailleur down until the clamp contacts the seat tube-BB weld so that the lower linkage would tuck in a little tighter. I should be able to go from a 32 to 34T ring and bash with no problem, but 36T might be pushing it.

I think it may be the least amount of disassembly required of any frame out there:
    • Deflate tires & remove wheels
    • Deflate fork
    • Remove pedals
    • Remove chain (Sram quick-link)
    • Remove non-drive crank arm, rotate 180 and reinstall (no puller required with pinch-bolted Shimano Cranks)
    • Remove stem/fork
    • Remove shock quick-release
    • Remove lower linkage to seat stay pivot bolts
    • Remove seat

My one major disappointment is that I have to remove the derailleur hanger and rear brake caliper/adapter (although if I was running a 160mm rear rotor, the caliper might clear?)

With RF Flank shin pads, a couple jerseys, and a towel, to provide padding, socks to go over the stem/calipers/derailleur, and an XC lid, it weighs in at 48lbs, just under the 50lb airline over-weight limit.

The quick-release 135mm and 100mm hubs are also a hair wider than ideal and cause the case to bulge in the middle with a pressure point that will probably wear through eventually. I'll be switching to DT Swiss wheels with a 10x135 rear through-axle and a 15x100 front (reduces each hub's width by ~10mm when the axles are out) I'm hoping the relatively flexy ETSX back end will benefit from the 10mm axle.

I'm also going to replace the Shimano crank arm bolt with an aluminum aftermarket hex-socket one to eliminate the need for the special tool.

Oh, and I have to file down the superfluous little pointy piece on the seat stay where the derailleur hanger attaches. It stretched the case on its maiden voyage.

There are definitely advantages to having a bike that flies for the same cost as a suitcase...

Proud lame eBiker
    Very nice! I love hearing stories like this. Is it a bit of work? Of course. But the best things in life are working hard for, and outsmarting the airlines to boot! Bonus!!

Much respect.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.