mtbr member
    May 2008

Cracked Rear End 2011 Altitude

Well this sucks. Anyone ever have this happen to a 2011-2012 era Altitude.

To be honest I have no idea when or how this happened as I barely rode the frame in the last year. Just saw it now.

This was a frame replacement for my 2007 ETSX. So I assume I'm shit out of luck on a warranty....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Rear End 2011 Altitude-img_0103.jpg  

ups and downs
    If your Altitude replacement frame warranty just covered the full length of your ETSX warranty you'd be out of luck, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Worst case you should get crash replacement price on the swingarm if it is out of warranty.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good point. I'll ask.... I just assumed (from reading others on this board) that you just got the 5 year warranty on the first frame and not for the replacement.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Let the shop deal with Rocky first.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For sure. They did good by me with the warranty on the ETSX the first time. No complaints. Just a little disappointed how little I got to ride this frame (kids) before it cracked.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikefire View Post
    For sure. They did good by me with the warranty on the ETSX the first time. No complaints. Just a little disappointed how little I got to ride this frame (kids) before it cracked.
    Rocky washed their hands on those frames and burnt a lot of people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I ended up having to pay $350 for a replacement chainstay (just the chainstay - no seatstays or pivot parts) when this happened to my 2008 Altitude:

Cracked Rear End 2011 Altitude-img_00000056.jpgCracked Rear End 2011 Altitude-img_00000058.jpg

I've ridden the bike hard, but I don't think anything outside of its intended usage. Otherwise, I totally loved that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopsmike View Post
    I ended up having to pay $350 for a replacement chainstay (just the chainstay - no seatstays or pivot parts) when this happened to my 2008 Altitude:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000056.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	974972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000058.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	974973

I've ridden the bike hard, but I don't think anything outside of its intended usage. Otherwise, I totally loved that bike.

Bishopmike, when you purchased your chainstay from RM did it come painted? I have the same bike and I will keep an eye on my chainstay for cracks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yes, actually that part was nice - perfect colour match (oh, and the bearings did come pressed in). So it was great, I just felt like it should have been a $100 part, especially at "crash replacement" prices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Is this a common problem for RM? I'm a little worried seeing posts like this. I am about to purchase my first mountain bike and don't know too much about RM. Reading through all these threads first. This one is worrisome. Looks like a few people have had trouble with frames cracking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well, this is the internet. For just about anything in the world, you'll find a huge list of people with problem products. I loved my '08 Altitude and replaced it with a 2010 version. I think RM has overall a pretty solid reputation, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ya I'd second that. I haven't heard of a ton of problems with the newer stuff, so I don't think it's a huge deal.... Having said that - only one of my three Rockies had survived over the years. And I'm not hard on my bikes either. I live in flat land prairies - i couldn't be hard on them if i tried!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopsmike View Post
    Well, this is the internet. For just about anything in the world, you'll find a huge list of people with problem products. I loved my '08 Altitude and replaced it with a 2010 version. I think RM has overall a pretty solid reputation, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
    Yeah I know I'll usually find the worst of it online. I have read a lot of good things about RM, its just seeing a new thread like this a having more then one person having a problem it made me think.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikefire View Post
    Ya I'd second that. I haven't heard of a ton of problems with the newer stuff, so I don't think it's a huge deal.... Having said that - only one of my three Rockies had survived over the years. And I'm not hard on my bikes either. I live in flat land prairies - i couldn't be hard on them if i tried!
    Telling me you live in the prairies and don't ride hard doesn't help. lol. You still recommend them after 2 frames where damaged. I assume its only 2, the original and the replacement right?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Lol fair enough. Let me clarify. Yes I had two cracked Rocky's. The first was the ETSX, which despite what others may argue I think was a design issue. They replaced that with the 2012 Altitude which cracked on me. This time though I haven't seen a ton of evidence suggesting is a widespread problem. So I'm willing to attribute it too bad luck.

I'm not personally recommending Rocky's. I can't based on my track record with rocky. It's been over three weeks and they haven't responded to the bike shop about my frame.

But I'm not saying they're all shitty bikes either... Lots of guys on here still have bikes going strong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That sucks that there taking so long to respond. I would of hoped for better from a Canadian company.

anyway good luck, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You all do realize that they are just bikes, and like cars, rockets and everything else, things break. Especially when you get even alittle air and are banging rocks, roots, tree limbs, falling/wrecking any of which could have jolted and cracked an area, any of which a rock on an arm would be like a baseball bat swing. I would consider that normal. Not to mention somebody else could have damaged the bike when it was not being ridden by some other means. If you got a replacement, then broke another, that really should be it no more for you. That is just my opinion of course.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    "Break Two? No more for you!".

Well its a catchy warranty policy, but I think you're more likely to turn off potential customers.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I still have a Rocky but I would not buy another one.