mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Is this a crack? Slayer SXC 30

My baby is a Slayer SXC 30. I have had her for four years, four months and nine days. I love, love, love this bike. While giving her a bath yesterday I discovered what looks like a small crack on the weld where the down tube meets the bottom bracket on the port/non-drive side. I'm going to take it to a Rocky dealer tomorrow, but I wanted to hear opinions from others. The crack does not resemble any paint cracking that I have seen but what do you think? Has anyone else had problems with cracks in this area before?

I know aluminum has a limited life-span so I knew that at some point something was going to happen but I was hoping to get a few more years out of her. I'm definitely not hucking or pushing the envelope but I do ride a lot of miles. I would definitely buy another Slayer in a heartbeat, it has been a tremendous bike, if you have the legs for it, it will climb up and over anything and it goes downhill like a bat out of hell.

The purple ruler in the top of the photo is showing millimeters to give some scale to it.

Anyway, just wanted some opinions from other Rocky owners, you guys always have the best advice and I really appreciate the time and effort everyone puts in answering questions.

Thanks, ride safe and have fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a crack? Slayer SXC 30-slayer_crack_01.jpg  

Is this a crack? Slayer SXC 30-slayer_crack_02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Could be just a paint crack. Anyway you can get it checked at your LBS for real cracks, if they're equipped with the right stuff.
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would think so

Look and the weld it is not of the greatest quality in that area...Also the weld was either started and stopped or just stopped right there as well.

I would definately pick the paint off if the dealer doesn't and have a real good look with a magnifing glass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Took my baby to the Rocky dealer today, they confirmed that yes, my baby did have a crack as seen in the above photo. They also discovered a larger crack at the junction of the bottom bracket tube and the short piece of tubing that rises up for the front derailleur. They are going to contact Rocky on Monday. What a bummer! The Slayer SXC has been an incredible bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Smile Rocky Mountain Bikes made my day.

I just found out today that Rocky is going to replace under warranty the front triangle on my 2008 SXC 30. I have been shitting bricks for the last week and a half; not knowing what was going to happen was very stressful and not being able to ride has been pretty unpleasant too. I am so thrilled that they are helping me out.

Unfortunately the dealer said they did not have a definite answer on a time frame because they need to get one painted up and then shipped and I guess dealing with US Customs is sometimes problematic. Not a problem, it is going to take what it takes time wise. I'm just so freaking happy I'm getting my Slayer back

Can I say it again "Rocky Mountain Bikes is the ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It has been a true love affair between me and my Slayer SXC. I bought her as a frameset because I'm always poor and couldn't afford the scratch to buy a complete bike. I used parts off my previous two bikes for the first build-up and as time passed and I could afford it I replaced pretty much everything on the bike.

My Slayer brought me many hours of happiness and I am looking forward to many more on a new frame.

Thank You Rocky Mountain Bikes!