Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Car rack for carbon Rocky Mountain bike

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tarekith 
#1 ·
Hi, anyone mind sharing what car rack you use to carry your carbon Rocky Mountain bike? I just got a carbon Vertex 29 RSL and don't know if I need to pay special attention to the rack. Eg is a trunk rack that holds the top tube safe to use? Is a roof rack that captures the downtube safe?
Thanks for any info! (and no smart a** remarks please...)

#5 ·
If money weren't an object I'd go with the Kuat or something similar that holds the bike by the wheel. I have a Yakima Stickup, but I had it before purchasing my Vertex RSL. On my prior aluminum frame I would snug the frame clamp thing down very tight and usually didn't bother using the wheel strap. Now I find it best to use the wheel strap and lightly slide the clamp thing onto the top tube. I'll usually stuff a sock or rag between the clamp and frame to give a little more cushion....It's funny how at 160lbs we pound on our bikes like they're a trampoline, but 10lbs of pressure from a clamp onto the top tube gives nightmares.

#6 ·
Racks that rest your bike on a top tube are fine. I would worry more about clamping forces on a top tube in a maintenance rack because they can ramp up force fast and you don't realize it. The challenge I had was finding one that my size med RSL frame would fit on. The front triangle is tiny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.