mtbr member

Bushing play in rear pivot of new Slayer SXC frame

After finishing my build with a new in box (factory sealed) Slayer SXC frame, I noticed that there was some play in the rear triangle. I have narrowed it down to the Igus bushings where the chain- and seatstay meet.
    Upon disassembling said pivots, I found that the small metal pieces (actual bearing shafts I guess) that rest inside the Igus bushing do have quite some room in there, they don't fit tight at all. The Igus bushings themselves seem to be tight-fitting inside their respective holes in the chainstay.

What can be done to get this fixed? New Igus bushings and hoping they are a tighter fit? Replace the metal shafts? Anything else?
    The frame is from 2009 but I am its first owner and bought it new in box.

EDIT: I sort of fixed the issue by winding a layer of Teflon tape around the small metal shafts. They now fit tightly into the Igus bushings and the play is completely gone.
    It's a temporary fix for sure, and I think it's kind of silly that I have to use a fix like that on such a refined product...

ups and downs
    That won't last long as the metal bushes rotate inside the Igus bushings, you'll likely find that jams up fairly quickly as the amount of rotation is quite small so all the tape wear will be in one small area. When you say they have a lot of room in the bushes, how much are you talking about? Enough to rattle or enough to slide through the bushing easily?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    In my old GT frame I had already padded out rotating bushings before, and I was genuinely surprised how long it lasted for. Let's hope it's similar in this case.

Regarding the amount of play: When I did the Teflon tape fix I put the bike on its side, removed the screws from the pivot, and as I slid up the seat stay the metal bushings just fell out onto the carpet. They have several 1/10th of a millimeter of play I would guess. When inserted into the Igus bushing the play can be easily felt by wiggling the metal part around. And when installed and assembled (without the Teflon tape) it could easily be felt by rocking the rear wheel.

ups and downs
    Igus bushings do swell when they are consistently exposed to water, so there is some freeplay in them so they survive here in the rainforest when the bushings swell a bit.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Hm, we're currently having the highest temperatures here in Austria that were ever recorded, so it's basically searing hot and arid. I'll observe how the bushing play changes with the weather over the next weeks.