Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Broken DHX Rebound Adjuster

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  262741 
#1 ·
Anyone had a problem with the rebound adjuster on a DHX Air 4.0 on a Slayer SXC 70? Tried to adjust mine yesterday and it seems to be "stuck". I cannot move it in either direction and I stopped short of forcing that little red dial. Although the little bugger did shred my fingers up pretty good!

I am bringing it by the LBS and have already talked to them about an RP23. Too bad they only have RP's on the rental fleet or I might be able to do an "in shop swap".

#6 ·
I remember the rebound adjuster feeling "gritty", but it still seemed to work. Maybe there is just some grit keeping the dial from moving, but it feels like something has locked up. I will post the solution once my LBS looks at the shock.

The tire is a WTB Timberwolf 2.3 Freeride with DNA 40a rubber compound and Inner Peace sidewalls. The sidewalls seem really burly and the tire is relatively light for what it is, about 900grams. A friend had a single-ply version of the Timberwolf in a 2.5 that I really wanted to try, but WTB quit making them. Now the only TW offered is the 2.5 DH version weighing in at about 1500 grams. The 2.3 freeride version I have was purchased off ebay, and literally the only one I could find on the internet. Looking forward to giving the TW a rip this summer on our dusty trails!

#7 ·
I am heading to Moab soon for a few days of riding and thought I best have the rebound adjustment on my DHX Air checked out.

It was a really simple and easy fix that the bike shop was able to handle in a matter of minutes (thanks Todd!). There is a small alan set-screw on the housing of the rear shock just above the rebound adjuster. When you back that set-screw out there is a very small spring (be careful it doesn't jetison across the room) that applies pressure to a single ball bearing. I believe the bearing is 1/8". The bearing in my shock clearly had some water intrusion and just the roughness from rust was enough to prevent the rebound adjuster from moving. The LBS replaced the ball bearing, added a touch of grease, and put it all back together. Voila! Working like brand new again. You can adjust the pressure on the rebound adjuster by how much you tighten the set-screw.

I hope this is useful information for somebody out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.