mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Broken Carbon Altitude

A couple of weeks ago I was riding my 2010 Altitude 50 RSL when cresting a rise and standing on the pedals, I went back to power and all hell broke loose. The carbon around the bottom bracket came apart so the crankset was no longer supported in the frame. I don't really ride any super gnarly trails and there isn't even any scrapes or scratches on the carbon around the bottom bracket area. I contacted the dealer where I purchased the bike - Jenson USA and they have been very helpful in dealing with the issue. I guess Rocky Mountain has decided that it is a warranty issue and would replace the front triangle. Problem is that they do not have any more carbon triangles in stock but that they would replace the entire frame and rear shock with a 2012 Altitude in aluminum. I understand that I'm getting more parts replaced and with a newer model frame but I guess I'm bugged by the fact that I am not getting a carbon frame! I've been going back and forth with Jenson USA trying to work something out and they have stepped up and offered some other product thrown in to help sweeten the deal but I guess I still feel like it is Rocky Mountain's job to step up with something. It looks like maybe they didn't offer a carbon version of the Altitude in 2011-2012 and the 2013 is clearly a different design. I've offered to kick in some money in order to get a newer carbon frame but they said they have no interest.
    Am I wrong to be disappointed? Should I just suck it up and be happy that at least they are offering something?

I spent the money to buy a carbon bike and now it looks like I'll end up with an aluminum one...

I guess the next time I go looking for a new bike, it won't be a Rocky Mountain...

Michael
    Broken Carbon Altitude-img_2044.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You bought carbon and you should expect a carbon replacement. Surely Rocky Mountain makes other carbon bikes. If you can't get a carbon one through Rocky Mountain and Jenson is offering something else carbon, maybe you should consider taking the deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Jenson is only offering some components thrown in with the Rocky Mountain frame to help ease the pain- currently a crankset and whatever parts are needed to swap everything else from my old bike. They aren't talking frames at all. I appreciate that they are trying to help though...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That’s crazy they turned you down even after offering some cash for the new carbon altitude. I would be pissed.

I've heard Rocky is a great company, but after a less than stellar experience with them and hearing this, I'm not impressed.

I wonder if their warranty says something like, “5-Year Frame Warranty” - (only valid if we haven’t redesigned the bike you bought)
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I would expect a carbon frame as a replacement and if they are out of 2010 frames, you should get the newer version. Not your fault that this broke and not your fault that they didn't keep enough replacement spares. I wonder if it's Jenson that's not fighting for you or if it is indeed Rocky Mountain that won't budge.

Have you tried calling RM directly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My next step was to call or email Rocky Mountain directly... I've already started an email to them but thought I would try to get some feedback from people that might have a bit more experience than me - hence my post here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't email . . . Call them.

ups and downs
    They changed the geometry of the 26" Altitude for 2011, with a 0.5 degree slacker head angle on the alloy Altitude (68.5 deg) versus the carbon 70 RSL Altitude (69 deg), which could not easily be changed because the carbon molds cost a bunch to change. So the 2012 alloy Altitude would have a head angle that would make the bike more comfortable descending.

The new Altitude carbon frame is a 650B bike, so there'd be nothing compatible about the suspension components or wheels.

If it were me, I'd be angling for a complete carbon 26" Element 30, 50 or 70 MSL frame. I enjoy the ride of my 2011 Element 70 MSL much more than I did my 2010 Altitude 90 RSL.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

RE: Broken Carbon Altitude

Rocky should offer a new carbon frame or an alu frame that fits your current spec and allow you the customer to decide. You should also appreciate their situation in that carbon frame is no longer produced but the decision for the particular replacement frame should be yours.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, I called and left a couple of messages for Rocky Mountain this morning and this afternoon I get a call from Jenson saying that RM 'found' a 2011 Element 70 MSL complete frame that they would send as a replacement for my Altitude! Finally, an option that I think I'll be happy with. Major props to the guys at Jenson who said they will throw in any components that won't transfer over from my old frame! I'd say the hang up was with RM all this time...

Appreciate the thoughts and inputs from everyone here. I haven't had to deal with an issue like this before and I'm glad that it wasn't just me who saw the issue with RM's initial offering...

mtbr member
    Nice to hear; you definately won on that trade in my books.

ups and downs
    Yep I'd say you're winning on that replacement as well. The only parts that are different are the bottom bracket (BB-92), the e-type direct mount front derailleur and the crown race on your fork. You could run a 140mm fork on the Element but you'll likely enjoy it more with a 20mm spacer in the fork to knock it down to 120mm. And it will be red.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Depends all on what you want. That 2012 replacement look good imo