mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Broke my old RM frame, should i bother contacting them?

I broke an early 2000's RM Pipeline on the lower left chainstay the other day. I was thinking of ditching the frame and swapping the components to another frame (those ragley blue pigs look pretty nice) seeing that i just updated a lot of parts on it. But i was reading on here or pinkbike that some guy broke his old RM frame, contacted them and they replaced the frame even though the warranty was void. Seems like a great company to work with? Anyways here's a pic of the break, any hopes for a new rear triangle? or maybe a deal on a new frame?

Broke my old RM frame, should i bother contacting them?-photo-1.jpg

ups and downs
    You might get offered a crash replacement deal of some kind but they don't actually make anything like a Pipeline now, and certainly nothing that would allow you to use much of your build kit.

The closest thing they would have had with 26" wheels and 6" of travel would have been a 2011 Slayer SXC (160mm travel) or a 2012 26" Altitude (140mm travel).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not looking good then, huh? Funds are tight right now, i think i'm gonna go with a cheaper hardtail frame then. oh well, hopefully it makes me a better rider! Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    RM will make the part and paint it the color you want. At least when I asked for a replacement of my worn out 1999 element seatstays, they would make and paint them for around 300 euro. I decided that was too much, but you might get a better deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They told me the same thing man! A new rear swingarm for 325 shipped. I can get a 456 frame for 330 shipped! they're crazy, im not so sure about RM anymore...

ups and downs
    $325 for a painted swingarm for an obsolete frame is pretty cheap, that would be custom hand fabricated by one of their prototype builders from old jigs. That's about half the price of a fork. A new alloy full suspension frame is going to be about $1800, so that's a pretty good price for 1/3 of a frame.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I also thought it was a good deal for a custom-made product. But since I no longer use the bike, I found it too much. But since @JFD is still using the bike, I think it's a pretty sweet deal. Think about the cost of buying a new frame, and then adapt you components to it. Pretty good chance your seatpost won't fit, the new frame probably has slightly different fit, so you'll need a new stem, maybe the new frame uses a fress-fit BB, so new BB and cranks. It might use post mounts for the brakes, so get adapters and bigger discs. Headset is probably tapered too. Maybe you want to make the switch to 29" wheels at the same time, so get new wheels and fork. You're talking about just using the bars (but you'd probably want to go wider too), derailleurs and shifters and brakes, maybe cranks and hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sounds like a good deal to me as well, considering the part us being custom made. The 456 is one of many thousands.....
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JFD27 View Post
    They told me the same thing man! A new rear swingarm for 325 shipped. I can get a 456 frame for 330 shipped! they're crazy, im not so sure about RM anymore...
    You're crazy if you think that price makes them crazy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The part is def not custom made... He said they had a few in stock from 2001 that he would paint black for me to match since i painted that swingarm myself. Plus this bike is to small for me, its 17in med and im 6'3'' 210. So at the end of the day, im left with a 12 year old bike that's to small for me for 325, there is play in the frame as well. Or i can get a new frame for 330 shipped get a new seat post bb and crank and be done at 500?

And how do you think im crazy? When they want 300 for a subframe for a bike that has been out of production for 10 plus years? Makes no since to me, you think they would be practically giving them away right? I just cant justify spending 300 dollars and ending back up with an old out of date bike. Cant believe they didn't offer me a crash replacement deal of some sort, since i had already told them i was interested in a new frame.

Maybe i'll buy the subframe and fix it the frame and try and sell. I really doubt it though seeing that i could prolly only get 300 for the frame,rear subframe and new fox float i just bought.

See where im going with this? just not worth my money. Hey in that case! anyone interested in a med pipeline frame with a broken swingarm? 150$ and it's yours....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow! I offered bill at RM $150 for the swingarm. I felt that was a fair price considering the age of the application and he accepted! Looks like i will be getting it fixed after all, i'm still inclined to sell though because of the 17in frame. I think i would be more at home on a 20in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Now that is pretty awesome. See, RM is great

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, great news. They are a great company after all!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good to hear, I had nothing but great service from them myself!