Thread: Blizzard RIP?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Blizzard RIP?

Hello,

I own a 20th Anniversary Blizzard, and see that the Blizzard is conspicuous by its absence from the 2012 lineup and also apparently from the 2013 Rocky Mountain lineup.

Does anyone know whether it may be taking a few seasons off or whether the Blizzard will be asked to Rest in Peace as a legend from a bygone era?

Clydesdale Warrior
    Rocky Mountain frequently retires names and then resurrects them on new products. Take the 2013 Instinct as an example.

Blizzard is a pretty iconic name for RM, I'm sure it will popup on some future product. Perhaps a nice steel fat tire snow bike? (let the wild baseless speculation and rumors begin!)

sh0rty :P

ups and downs
    They've tried to retire it a couple of times but public demand brought it back. The popularity of steel hardtails is definitely dropping. And the cost of doing short run steel hardtails offshore is likely getting higher than is practical.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    If Ritchey can sell steel 650B and 29er bikes why can't Rocky? I'll never buy another steel bike but some people would. I'm sure it will show up again in some form.

mtbr member
    I'm in the market for a steel hardtail 29er; would have loved to keep it all Rocky

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I emailed Rocky last year, asking them if perhaps they could bring the Blizzard back as a steel hardtail 29er. They said that as of now, due to the issues mentioned here(lower demand for steel frames, etc) that they had no plans to do so.

Of course, things could change, as hjas been mentioned that rocky has dropped the Blizzard and brought it back several times now. So I guess we can just wait and hope.

mtbr member
    I ride usually my rm hammer 29 and it,s a fantastic bike....... niner sells a lot of sir an mcr, why rm can't??

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    They've tried to retire it a couple of times but public demand brought it back. The popularity of steel hardtails is definitely dropping. And the cost of doing short run steel hardtails offshore is likely getting higher than is practical.
    $100 a frame for Tange Prestige tubing frame welded by Maxway in taiwan is impractical ? Okiie fine then.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    p.d.... my hammer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blizzard RIP?-301263_2252120671893_2780480_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    as has been mentioned that rocky has dropped the Blizzard and brought it back several times now.
    I don't think this is so in fact. They have just phased it out in stages, first going to frame-only several years ago, then calling it the 'Blizzard Limited Edition' for 2011. Silly name really as all editions are limited to the number they choose to make, but perhaps it was just a hint to say buy one now because these are the last we're going to have made. And so it proved, 2011 was the final year of the Blizzard. But there was no year prior to that when there was no Blizzard, all the way through from 86 I believe.

mtbr member
    It should come back as a fatbike. A steel, aluminum or ti. fatbike. People would buy that.

mtbr member
    I would prefer a blizzard in the way of breezer lightning, a xc hardtail with a rigid fork

ups and downs
    Let's face it, if Leonardo turned out Mona Lisa painting copies the way those hotel painting copy houses cranked out paintings, how valuable would they be?

I suspect that Rocky is taking a page out of DeBeers playbook and keeping the value of the existing Blizzards high by keeping them rare.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    650b Blizzard, similar to the Ritchey P275, would be awesome! Slidey dropouts with cable stops and mech hanger for geared or SS use.

Perhaps a stainless steel version too, black with unpainted stainless, yum!

mtbr member
    May 2013

Blizzard RIP?

Quote Originally Posted by sh0rty View Post

Blizzard is a pretty iconic name for RM, I'm sure it will popup on some future product. Perhaps a nice steel fat tire snow bike? (let the wild baseless speculation and rumors begin!)

sh0rty :P
    Oh if they did that and made it so it could run 4.8" tires I'd have a Moonlander for sale. I love my 97' Blizzard