mtbr member
    Sep 2012

bc edition creaking noise since new

I have been trying to find the source of a sound that sounds like shot pedals. At first (when new) I thought it was my 1 year old shimano pedals that were creaking so I got a new pair, the creaking is still there. My LBS greased everything greasable (bushings, bolts, crank,...), changed cable housings but it's still there could it be a carbon fracture in the frame? Any other thoughts? Worst thing is they have the same bike as a demo in the bike shop ant it's creak free.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Every time I hear a creak I overreact and think it is something major. More often than not it is the seatpost either needing paste or being under torqued.

ups and downs
    I chased a creak like that for a year, it turned out to be the buckles on my hydration pack.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Did you change the cleats when you changed the pedals? Might be worn cleats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Seat post has been greased and torqued to spec, as for the pedals, I even went with flats and the creaking is the same. I can reproduce the creaking by standing beside the bike brakes locked and by applying side pressure to the crank or frame(so prob not from the hydration pack). Some of the creaking definitely is comming from the fork but everything greasable has been greased and tightened so it's either from the stations or head tube part. Some of the creaking I suspect might be from the susp bushings but they've been greased. Oh and it's really bad, cracking symphony, I even hear a squeak, from the fork seals I believe, sometimes. I don't know if the whole thing will fall apart or ???. Bringing it back to the bs tomorrow and they will remove the fork for testing and verify the rear plastic bushings. I will Keep you posted. Any other thoughts

mtbr member
    Been hitting my bushings with WD40 after washing per Rocky's suggestion, seems to be keeping the creaking away for now.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Spokes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Been hitting my bushings with WD40 after washing per Rocky's suggestion, seems to be keeping the creaking away for now.
    Thanks I will try that, funny the seem to creak the most when hot, like after 10 minutes of slightly ruff stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Spokes?
    Spokes seem ok it's really coming from the rear susp bushings I think, mostly when they're hot and from the fork. The lbs mechanic took the fork off and figured out that it was creaking at the crown when off the bike, so a fox issue for that end.

Workin for the weekend!
    Triflow on the stanchions and the steer tube, makes everything better. WD40 won't last long enough, it'll evaporate quickly.

mtbr member
    Rocky specifically recommends WD40 as it displaces water out of the bushings helping prolonge them. It's not meant to be a long term lubricant solution.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Rocky specifically recommends WD40 as it displaces water out of the bushings helping prolonge them. It's not meant to be a long term lubricant solution.
    Where did you find this info from Rocky? I recently aquired (won actually!) a 2013 Instinct and have been disapointed in my search for technical data from RM. My old bike is a Specialized and you can find all kinds of tech data on their site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Where did you find this info from Rocky? I recently aquired (won actually!) a 2013 Instinct and have been disapointed in my search for technical data from RM. My old bike is a Specialized and you can find all kinds of tech data on their site.
    http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/2...nual_Final.pdf

Page 5

My last bike was a Spec Enduro as well, and yes they make it really easy to find the info you need.
    Tarekith.com

ups and downs
    There's also a 2013 manual on the Bikeaction.de site

http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/2...ANUAL-Jan9.pdf
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Awesome! Thanks guys...