mtbr member

Bash Guards, 2x10 conversions etc for an Altitude 50

ok so I went looking for a bash guard for my Altitude 50. I was under the impression that they would bolt on, however the guy at the LBS said that usually, people replace the big ring with a bash guard. I am ok with this as I rarely use the big ring anyway so I went ahead and purchased one. This would effectively turn me into a 2x9

With my current set up (3x9) I have the full range of my cassette when in the middle ring and half the range when in the small ring. My girlfriend has a 2x10 and she has the full range with both rings. Would I have to change the bottom bracket to push my rings out a bit to get the full range in the 2x9 set up I am about to get?

Also, do I need to do anything with my front derailleur so that it will work better with the bash guard.I know my shifter will have the 3rd slot, but do I need to adjust the limit screws or anything?

mtbr member
    ya know, I went back out and looked at it and I think I answered my own question. I don't think this will convert down very easily. there would be no real way to adjust the front derailleur for the smaller ring.

So the question is, what do you guys do for bash guards?

ups and downs
    I'm running a Blackspire C4 bashring, it worked with the Deus and the XTR cranks I have on it now. You do need to adjust the derailleur limit screw to prevent it shifting beyond the middle ring position. I can get to the whole cassette from the middle ring and about 6 gears cleanly from the granny ring. Here's an older photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    ok cool, so adjusting the limit screw will effectively stop my shifter from trying to hit that 3rd position for the big ring?

ups and downs
    Correct, works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Haven't had an opportunity to install the bash guard yet, but it occured to me, I need to shorten the chain as well don't I?

ups and downs
    Yes you can, using the same big ring to big cog + 2 links method.... and err on the side of adding 1 extra link if the 2 link arrangement doesn't quite work. It will work without changing the chain length just like it does now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-23-2011 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd rather shorten it. It may help it from not bouncing off so much

ups and downs
    There's about 1/2" of chain growth at full travel on the Altitude, so that's one extra link for suspension related chain growth.

mtbr member
    ok I got it installed yesterday afternoon. I set the limit screw and it works beautifully. I am going to hit a trail today after work and see where I may need adjustments.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice, I too just finished removing the big ring and adding a bash guard to my altitude 50 this afternoon, but haven't adjusted the derailleur yet. mangled a link in my chain cleaning the bike earlier too, so I'll definitely be shortening or buying a new one...

mtbr member
    I think I knocked 3 links out of it and fixed it with a quicklink. I had a bent link and needed it replaced anyway.