mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Asking Price for Altitude 30?

Hello all- I recently had my 2007 RM ETSX 30 stolen and my home owner's ins covers it. But they won't give me the cash, they want me to "replace the item new" and they will reimburse me. Now, I was trying to sell the ETSX. I have 2009 Blur that I'm happy with and don't really need a new bike. So, I want to sell the "replacement bike". The ETSX is discontinued I just learned. And my local dealer tells me the Altitude is the "replacement" or closest equivalent. Now my deductable is $500.00. And my ETSX might have brought me $900-1200.00 I think. So, I'd like to recoup that cash and my deductible. It makes sense to me to buy the replacement at a high price and sell it new at a competitve price. My local dealer wants 3200.00 for the Altitude 30. So, what do you think I can expect to get for it if I sell it new locally on craigslist or our local mtn bike forum? Santa Cruz and Trek are all the rage where I live, Rocky Mtns seem to be less well known. So, I don't know if the more serious biker will be attracted. Would appreciate any advice.

ups and downs
    You give up at least 30% when it rolls out of the showroom, at least partially because you won't be able to sell the warranty with the bike. Not many people will pay more than 60% of the new price for a new bike without a warranty.

The other thing you should consider is trying the Altitude instead of the Blur, one ride on the Altitude where you have a steep climb and you'll sell your Blur so fast it would be a... well... Blur.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Just a suggestion. Advertise it on Craigslist before purchasing. Get a firm deal going for a brand new bike that you will purchase together. The end puchaser will get the size & set-up they want. Plus they get it straight from the dealer = full warranty no questions asked because it's in their name immediately.

Much better overall value IMO for a potential purchaser. Plus, you can work-out the deal before heading to the dealer so you know what your all-in cost/return is pre-purchase. You might even be able to haggle with the dealer to put a few more bucks in your pocket.