Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    96

    Anyone have a 2001 Element Team Scandium bike?

    I have a blue and white 2001 Element Team Scandium frame that needs pretty much all of the decals replaced and I was wondering if anyone has this same frame/bike? My decals are mostly all rubbed off and I need a few pictures showing the decals so I can copy them. If anyone has this bike and they have the time I would greatly appreciate it if they could send me a picture or two showing the decals. Thankyou!

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Did you try contacting RM for the decals?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Did you try contacting RM for the decals?
    Yes, and the guy I talked to at Rocky Mountain basically acted like I was wasting his time (maybe he was just busy or something). Only decals for their new bikes are available is what he told me.

    So I have to get pictures of the decals from someone elses bike and get them copied myself.

  4. #4
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    Check with Bagpipes on this forum, he has been doing original style decals for himself on older Rocky bikes. Custom small runs of decals won't be cheap, but it might be the only way to get them.

    Since the Rocky paint shop moved to Quebec they took any and everything related to frame finishing with them, so the Delta office won't have any older decals and likely not much in the way of newer decals either.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    I have a blue and white 2001 Element Team Scandium frame that needs pretty much all of the decals replaced and I was wondering if anyone has this same frame/bike? My decals are mostly all rubbed off and I need a few pictures showing the decals so I can copy them. If anyone has this bike and they have the time I would greatly appreciate it if they could send me a picture or two showing the decals. Thankyou!
    That's a new one on me - if it's blue and white, I wonder whether you might mean the 2000 Element Team Only (the 2000 Team Scandium and the 2001 Team Scandium are below it)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by anthonyinhove; 01-10-2009 at 05:26 AM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    96
    The Element I have looks just like the one in the second picture with the red fork only mine has a blue 2004 Sid team fork. The decals I want to copy are basically just the top tube ones with the Element Team SC name and the round Team Only decal which is by the seatpost. I would also like to try and get the 3D Link one as well if possible. If anyone could post some close up pictures of these decals I would be more than grateful.

    RockyUphill - I tried contacting the member you mentioned before (bagpipes) who makes bicycle decals to see if he could help me but he never replied to the email I sent to him. I guess I'll have to try and make them myself if I can figure out how to do it.
    Last edited by Freezer; 01-11-2009 at 12:18 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    The Element I have looks just like the one in the second picture with the red fork only mine has a blue 2004 Sid team fork. The decals I want to copy are basically just the top tube ones with the Element Team SC name and the round Team Only decal which is by the seatpost. I would also like to try and get the 3D Link one as well if possible. If anyone could post some close up pictures of these decals I would be more than greatful.

    RockyUphill - I tried contacting the member you mentioned before (bagpipes) who makes bicycle decals to see if he could help me but he never replied to the email I sent to him. I guess I'll have to try and make them myself if I can figure out how to do it.
    I must confess I'm a little confused about that second picture. It's clearly a Team Sc, we can see that, and I've labelled it as a 2000 because that's what the owner says it is. But according to Bikepedia there was no such thing as a 2000 Team Sc and they didn't start using scandium until 2001. Bikepedia has a picture like the third one for the 2001 Team Sc.

    So my guess is your bike is a 2001 Team Sc as you thought, but there were two different colour schemes. Which I'm afraid makes it a little more difficult to track down the correct images.

    I may be wrong, but I think Bagpipes is mainly interested in retro RMs. If you could get hold of the images, there are lots of people who could print them onto the right kind of vinyl. It's disappointing that Rocky won't help you. Even if they've made a business decision not to sell old decals, they must still have the artwork in electronic form, so it wouldn't hurt them to send you a copy. If I had a 2001 Team Sc and sent it to them for a repair and respray, I'd certainly expect them to put the correct decals on it!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    96
    There does seem to be some confusion about some of the early Rocky Mountain Element scandium frames and the years they were made. I've heard some people say that their Element SC was made in 1999 and others say theirs is a 2000 but as far as I know they only started making the Scandium ones in 2001. Maybe these early Scandium ones just weren't availale to the public or something.

    As for decals, I have contacted two companies that on their web pages say they do custom decals but when I contacted them they said it is too costly to make them so they no longer offer this service. I guess I might have to buy a laser printer and whatever else is needed to do them myself if i want these decals made. So far I have found these two pictures of the decals I need and they are actual size. There is a maple leaf pattern that is suppose to be in front of the Element Team SC decal but it was mostly all scratched off in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    There does seem to be some confusion about some of the early Rocky Mountain Element scandium frames and the years they were made. I've heard some people say that their Element SC was made in 1999 and others say theirs is a 2000 but as far as I know they only started making the Scandium ones in 2001. Maybe these early Scandium ones just weren't availale to the public or something.

    As for decals, I have contacted two companies that on their web pages say they do custom decals but when I contacted them they said it is too costly to make them so they no longer offer this service. I guess I might have to buy a laser printer and whatever else is needed to do them myself if i want these decals made. So far I have found these two pictures of the decals I need and they are actual size. There is a maple leaf pattern that is suppose to be in front of the Element Team SC decal but it was mostly all scratched off in this picture.
    I think we can be sure yours is a 2001 because they only used that style of decal that one year. See 2000, 2001 and 2002 below.

    If you were in UK, you could get a sheet of excellent decals cut from a jpeg for 16 = US$25. I guess you're in the US or Canada, in which case I'm sure it must make sense to get it done locally. Why don't you try asking in the Vintage forum for recommendations about decal makers? Just don't tell them you've got a 21st century bike, that's all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    If you have the patience to dig back through the painfully slow and incomplete Internet Archive, the first Element Tsc frames were listed on the late 1999 Rocky website as a 2000 model. Sadly only about 1/3 of the pages have images.

    From the late 1999/early 2000 version of the website. Even as early as May 1999 this is what the link takes you to.

    Element Team SC XC Full-Suspension
    For righteous pro-level x-country racers with 3.6 inches of rear travel.
    Frame Easton Sc7000 MTB Scandium
    Rear Shock Rear Shock Fox Air Float RC w/pump
    Available as a Frame Only
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    541
    Going slightly O/T, but I gave up on the web archive of RM because there seemed to be confusion between what it said on the tin and the contents of the tin in those years. So I'm not totally confident that we can draw that conclusion.

    My own recollection is clearer about Kona - the Explosif was the first Kona to be made from scandium and that was for the 2000 and 2001 model years (i.e., first going on sale in the autumn/fall of 1999) I remember being impressed that when RM started using it, they had a better handle on scandium than Kona, as the scandium Explosif had bombed in the marketplace partly because it only had twelve months warranty. I guess scandium was so new that Kona didn't have full confidence in Hodaka or wherever it was, whereas Rocky had long worked with Easton HBO tubing and could control their production standards better than Kona had.

    So I don't recall the scandium Vertex coming out before the Explosif and I don't recall an Element at that initial stage either. And if I'm wrong as usual and they did come out then, I don't understand why neither is listed in Bikepedia.

    Incidentally, you guys may not be interested in retro stuff, but you'll see from this thread that the 99 and 2000 catalogues will hopefully soon be online via retrobike.co.uk
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39609

  12. #12
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    In those days the exotic tubesets went from North America overseas, so the Easton Sc7000 MTB Scandium tubes likely weren't as readily available to Hodaka as they were to Rocky building the bikes in North America.

    Bikepedia is based on manufacturer's brochures or published sales material, so it's not going to be the ultimate authority.

    In those days the Tsc and T.O. bikes were much lower production volumes than the regular models.

    From the 2000 archived website

    tab-to.gif

    Element T.O. XC Full-Suspension
    Vertex T.O. XC Hardtail
    RM9 DH Specific
    Element Team SC XC Full-Suspension
    Vertex Team SC XC Hardtail
    Turbo Team SC Road Specific

    They were both officially in the 2000 model line as the geometry is separately defined for the Element Tsc and Vertex Tsc in the 2000 model year geometry page.

    http://web.archive.org/web/200011150....html#vertexsc
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    541
    Not challenging the superiorty of your knowledge in any way Mr Uphill, it was just the suggestion that they were available in May 99 that I found hard to believe - unless their relationship with Easton was sufficiently close that they were working on initial testing and racing, prior to Easton's wider roll-out?

    Incidentally I notice that the latest GX2 version of Easton Scandium is currently "Available only in U.S., Europe, and Australia", which as you say leaves out of account a fairly significant part of the bicycling world.

  14. #14
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    In this knowledge I'm just relying on the web archive. My first new Rocky was a 2000 Vertex, not the Tsc model, but I did save the geometry page from that 2000 version website, and it does match the archived version. The planned product line and the "in production" product line tend to have a loose chronological connection. Much like some product manufacturers introduce next year's product at Sea Otter race the year before. I do know that I bought a 2000 model bike in July of 2000 and I managed to get one of the last of the 2000 model Vertex frames that was not already an assembled bike.

    It could be that the Vertex and Element Tsc product line was planned for a late 1999 model or early 2000 model year intro, or as a 1999.5 model, but production slipped till the 2000 model year because of materials schedule. I'm guessing that maybe the 2000 model year website might have been updated closer to the planned production period in those days,
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    96

    If you were in UK, you could get a sheet of excellent decals cut from a jpeg for 16 = US$25. I guess you're in the US or Canada, in which case I'm sure it must make sense to get it done locally. Why don't you try asking in the Vintage forum for recommendations about decal makers? Just don't tell them you've got a 21st century bike, that's all![/QUOTE]


    I live in Canada so would need to either get the decals made here or have them shipped to me from somewhere else. When you say decals cut from jpeg do you mean copying a jpeg picture of the decals I want onto vinyl?
    If there is someone in the UK who could do this for me for $25.00 USA plus shipping that would be ok. If you know of a place that would do this please let me know.

  16. #16
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    Your best bet is to wait for Bagpipes to make an appearance here again, check out some of his resto work with paint and decals. He's in Ontario.

    Another Rebuild
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyinhove
    If you were in UK, you could get a sheet of excellent decals cut from a jpeg for 16 = US$25. I guess you're in the US or Canada, in which case I'm sure it must make sense to get it done locally. Why don't you try asking in the Vintage forum for recommendations about decal makers? Just don't tell them you've got a 21st century bike, that's all!

    I live in Canada so would need to either get the decals made here or have them shipped to me from somewhere else. When you say decals cut from jpeg do you mean copying a jpeg picture of the decals I want onto vinyl?
    If there is someone in the UK who could do this for me for $25.00 USA plus shipping that would be ok. If you know of a place that would do this please let me know.
    RockyUphill is no doubt right, but since you ask, this man does excellent work in the UK, everyone very pleased with his output.
    gil@thecycleshed.co.uk
    You send him the best photos you can of the decals (that's the hard part) and he has the equipment/software to print onto vinyl. He also has the right type of vinyl obviously, with a 5-7 year life, no need to clear coat over.

  18. #18
    what...?
    Reputation: jmtbkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyinhove
    I must confess I'm a little confused about that second picture. It's clearly a Team Sc, we can see that, and I've labelled it as a 2000 because that's what the owner says it is. But according to Bikepedia there was no such thing as a 2000 Team Sc and they didn't start using scandium until 2001. Bikepedia has a picture like the third one for the 2001 Team Sc.

    So my guess is your bike is a 2001 Team Sc as you thought, but there were two different colour schemes. Which I'm afraid makes it a little more difficult to track down the correct images.

    I may be wrong, but I think Bagpipes is mainly interested in retro RMs. If you could get hold of the images, there are lots of people who could print them onto the right kind of vinyl. It's disappointing that Rocky won't help you. Even if they've made a business decision not to sell old decals, they must still have the artwork in electronic form, so it wouldn't hurt them to send you a copy. If I had a 2001 Team Sc and sent it to them for a repair and respray, I'd certainly expect them to put the correct decals on it!
    Hi!
    That's my old 2000 TeamSc all right. Where did you find that picture?
    The '99 Element TO was a slightly lighter blue - almost turquoise blue and white - made with Easton thinwall tubing. They used to dent real easy. 2K was the first year of the Scandium frames. All white with red/blue decals. I think the '01 Sc was white and red.
    Here's a better pic of the deacals and upgrades I did before getting rid of it.
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Duey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    56
    The one difficulty with replicating those decals lies in the gradient pattern through the blue leaf. Those decals will be most likely silk screened to get this fade effect. To go through the process of silk screening a one off replica of those decals would be extremely time consuming and expensive. Like 8 - 10 hours of shop time for the silk screening itself, not to mention file manipulation time.

    In regards to laser printing them; If you had the original file or cleaned up a scanned image, you could recreate them but the ink used by most modern laser printers would not last long when exposed to the elements (pun intended). Your best bet would be to acquire some modern era decals from RMB and update the look of your Element. Either that or pimp it with a custom paint scheme like RUH did his dead sexy Vertex carbon..
    Last edited by Duey; 08-28-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Life can be as easy as you make it.. or as difficult.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •