mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Another 650b question- vertex team rsl 26- fit?

.Searched on classic forum for rocky mountain vertex team rsl... 2011.....couldnt find answer. Anyone tried this frame to see if 650b fits ...Thanks

ups and downs
    Not likely. Here's a picture of a 26" Race King 2.2 Supersonic on the 26" Vertex RSL. There's only about 4mm of clearance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thats close... Dont recall it being that tight in mine ... But in a box in the shed at the moment ... Gone merida big nine team 29 ... And dont know whatbto do with RM..... Seems impossible to sell for more than peanuts despite being used just 25 hours in a race...

ups and downs
    The Race King 2.2 is a huge tire, the carcass is about 55mm wide, but that's definitely all the space there is. This is a WTB Raijin 2.1" tire and there's under 10mm of clearance to the yoke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another 650b question- vertex team rsl 26- fit?-2008_1007new0008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow, how do you manage when it's muddy? You do have mud in Canada, don't you?

ups and downs
    We definitely have mud out here...

Another 650b question- vertex team rsl 26- fit?-2012_0327new0002.jpg

but when it dries, it look like this

Another 650b question- vertex team rsl 26- fit?-2009_0325new0007.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I thought you probably did! I live on the south coast, the driest part of England and I call it muddy when there's several pounds of mud around the chainstay bridge and I can't get the wheel to turn. And that's with two inches of clearance to the bridge, not 4mm. Seriously, unless the mud was really liquid, 4mm of clearance is a no no around here.

That's one of things I don't like about 29ers - the rear tire is almost touching the seat tube as they're so desperate to stop the chainstay length and wheelbase from ruining the dynamics. Fine for California maybe, but not fine for mud. But in the case of the Vertex RSR, it's a pity they put the chainstay bridge just there, and I can't see what made them do that.

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004
    We don't have real mud on the west coast of Canada, you have to go inland for that.
    The metres of rain we get every year washed the mud from the West Coast mtns over the past 10,000 years.
    what you see on Rockyuphill's bike is a deposit of needle duff, washes off easy and can be brushed off when dry, not your typical gumbo mud

ups and downs
    It's a lot more like riding through compost, but thankfully does not usually smell as bad. Never sticky, sometimes a bit greasy, and you can usually brush it off when dry.

Not like the clay mud I grew up with in the prairies, where you can 30 pounds to your bike in about 10' of mud bog, clogging up the chainstay yoke and fork arch, and it will dry like concrete if you don't wash it off while it's still wet. In thicker mud, you'd have to be running something like a 1.5" mud tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hmm. Not ideal is it..belgian mud is sticky and clearence isnt great. Time for eeeeeeebbbbbbaaaaayyyyyy