Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Altitudes Arriving in Shops!!

Looks like the first few bikes are trickling in.

Damn do they look sweet or what...I am pumped!!

2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 650B | Dodge City Cycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Altitudes Arriving in Shops!!-img_0875.jpg  

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    So, umm....can you please try the biggest 2.4 tire you can find, and tell us if it will fit with room to spare, please....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That's the one I want!! She's a beaut!

mtbr member

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So I wonder if these are going to sell out as fast as all of the other new 650Bs have this year. I am really struggling between this bike and one other for my new ride. But I am afraid that if I wait until February to pull the trigger, they will already be gone.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post
    So I wonder if these are going to sell out as fast as all of the other new 650Bs have this year. I am really struggling between this bike and one other for my new ride. But I am afraid that if I wait until February to pull the trigger, they will already be gone.
    I placed my order in November for the first batch (supposed to be mid-late February) at Cyclepaths in Truckee, CA delivery but people who have put in orders since then aren't supposed to get theirs until May.

When I see all of those Jenson USA ads with blowout pricing on the 2012 RM bikes, I can't blame them for being conservative with their 2013 production numbers. No high end manufacturer wants to be seen as a discount brand.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ehh, screw it... time to empty the bank account. I have been beating the crud out of my hard tail for over 5 years and I really like the geometry on this thing. Unfortunately I can only afford the regular 750, but I'm sure I won't be too disappointed.

mtbr member
    How do you know the size you need, just going by seat tube length?

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    How do you know the size you need, just going by seat tube length?
    I measured my current hard tail that does fit me and found the Rocky with the closest matching effective top tube length. And after talking with Jenson, my guess appears to be accurate. If it's not, I'm going to have a really bad start to my year.

mtbr member
    Did Jenson confirm the availability date?

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The guy I talked to stated that no one had ordered a large yet and that he fully expected it to ship next week.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the weight difference is between carbon and aluminum frame ?

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This is all that I have found:

The FORM™ 7005 series custom hydroformed aluminum Altitude 750 gains a few grams over the carbon MSL versions, but saves you a chunk of change.

mtbr member
    from what I remember the difference between pivot carbon and aluminum frames on mach 5.7 was about 100 gm, does "few grams" justify the extra grand ? I know how people rave about carbon but other than little weight difference what is it about it? Don't tell me stiffness because that depends on the maker and on FS is kind of moot. 100 gm or so can be made up in 1 or 2 components changes.

Don't mind me..I am just really fired up about this bike and trying to decide how much I should spend..

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I believe that the carbon frames come with a few extras too, like internal routing for the rear shock cable.

This is one think I noticed while shopping around this year. There are these huge over a grand jump in price tags between models, especially in the $3k category. Everyone has a model in the high $2k to low $3k range and then the next one up from it is over $4k. The 750 is about the only one in the middle that seems like a good bargain.

ups and downs
    I'd expect the weight difference between the full carbon frame and the alloy frame to be closer to 1 pound, and less difference with the carbon front and alloy rear combo.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post
    I believe that the carbon frames come with a few extras too, like internal routing for the rear shock cable.

This is one think I noticed while shopping around this year. There are these huge over a grand jump in price tags between models, especially in the $3k category. Everyone has a model in the high $2k to low $3k range and then the next one up from it is over $4k. The 750 is about the only one in the middle that seems like a good bargain.
    FORM™ 7005 Series Custom Hydroformed Alloy. ABC™ Pivots. Tapered Head Tube. Press Fit BB. Internal Cable Routing. ISCG05 Tabs. Ride-9 Adjustable StraightUp™ Geometry.
    looks like alum has internal routing?

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The aluminum does have internal routing. The carbon just has more internal routing to make it look even cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Anyone know what the weight difference is between carbon and aluminum frame ?
    I emailed RM about this a few days ago. Here's what they wrote back:

"Since we do not have a frame only option in the aluminum I do not have a production weight. My educated guess is 2750-3000g"

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I'd expect the weight difference between the full carbon frame and the alloy frame to be closer to 1 pound, and less difference with the carbon front and alloy rear combo.
    Sounds about right.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I guess on the plus side, when (not if) I crash it, it should be able to take it.

If Jenson is telling the truth, I should have an actual weight for the 750 by the end of next week. I've never been this pumped to see this much money disappear from my bank account before!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wouldn't mine an Altitude 790 frame with XT, and Race Turbine 2x10
    ....no dropper post.

mtbr member
    I see the Jenson availability dates are now March 6 or March 13, depending on model / size.

D_K...Hope you get yours as promised.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    I see the Jenson availability dates are now March 6 or March 13, depending on model / size.
    Haha, that was impressively fast!

No, I will not be getting mine until March (not that I need it much before then in WI). The awesome part is that a Rocky Mountain sales rep tracked me down on here to inform me of this and ask me about the dates Jenson gave. I told him that no one was intentionally giving me bad dates but that it must have been entered into their software wrong. And damn if he didn't get that corrected the same day! That's what I call customer service!!

Rocking on a Rocky
    I just ordered a 730 hoping it is under 31 LBS

mtbr member
    Spot the Altitude 790...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Altitudes Arriving in Shops!!-rf_20yearanniversary_bmjan-rev3-proof.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast