mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Altitude ABC stictions

Hi there
    Don't kwnow if I should created a post for this question or should I post it in the FAQ thread?
    By the way, I bought an altitude 730 for my wife and was surprised how low pressure should I fill in the shock to reach a 25-30% of sag.
    For its 115 lbs the pressure is around 100 psi, and in consequences a full open rebound : best way to have a "freezing" shock, and spike transcient. At the begining I thought the shock was overdamped for her weight, so I decided to sent it for a comp and rebound tune dedicated.

First : impossible to pull out the shock. the rear fitting have no play. No problem for the ride-9 side, but I didn't find the astute for the rear side. The only way I see is to pull out a part of the linkage; I should miss something !!

With my only one side shock free, I tried to move the rear axle (up and down). The input force is unbelievably huge to make the whole linkage move. No doubt about the stiffness and the free maintenance ABC system, but concerning the stictions ???
    For sure they will diseapered, but when? Does the break-in period is synonimous of end of life, play in the ABC pivots?
    Does someone share the same experience? (I know the bike is really new!!)
    One think I know now is : no question of tuning shock till the end of break-in period.
    Thank's
    Pierre
    Last edited by superpi; 04-09-2013 at 09:07 AM.

ups and downs
    It sounds like there is some other problem, the ABC bushing stiction should not be that significant.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Hi,

1. Shock disassembly: yes, you need to remove the pivots of the lower link to remove the shock: the hardware is "nested" into the frame in all our bikes, which adds lateral stiffness to the design.

2. There is an initial break in period, but if you are really concerned, you can always loosen the pivot bolts, re-loctite and tighten back to torque spec, to make sure they aren't over tightened.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by superpi View Post
    Hi there
    Don't kwnow if I should created a post for this question or should I post it in the FAQ thread?
    By the way, I bought an altitude 730 for my wife and was surprised how low pressure should I fill in the shock to reach a 25-30% of sag.
    For its 145 lbs the pressure is around 100 psi, and in consequences a full open rebound : best way to have a "freezing" shock, and spike transcient. At the begining I thought the shock was overdamped for her weight, so I decided to sent it for a comp and rebound tune dedicated.

First : impossible to pull out the shock. the rear fitting have no play. No problem for the ride-9 side, but I didn't find the astute for the rear side. The only way I see is to pull out a part of the linkage; I should miss something !!

With my only one side shock free, I tried to move the rear axle (up and down). The input force is unbelievably huge to make the whole linkage move. No doubt about the stiffness and the free maintenance ABC system, but concerning the stictions ???
    For sure they will diseapered, but when? Does the break-in period is synonimous of end of life, play in the ABC pivots?
    Does someone share the same experience? (I know the bike is really new!!)
    One think I know now is : no question of tuning shock till the end of break-in period.
    Thank's
    Pierre
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM View Post
    Hi,

1. Shock disassembly: yes, you need to remove the pivots of the lower link to remove the shock: the hardware is "nested" into the frame in all our bikes, which adds lateral stiffness to the design.

2. There is an initial break in period, but if you are really concerned, you can always loosen the pivot bolts, re-loctite and tighten back to torque spec, to make sure they aren't over tightened.

Alex
    Thank's for the answer.
    Where can I find torque spec please? Does any pdf is available?
    I was wrong about her weight but don't tell her (I wrote 145 instead of 115 ...sorry dear)
    Last edited by superpi; 04-09-2013 at 09:10 AM.