mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Altitude 2014 Sizing

Hi,

I just ordered a new 2014 Altitude 750 size Large.

But after reviewing the geometry of the bike I realized its only a 19" seat tube. My current bike is a Kona Four Deluxe 2008 (size 19") and most people tells me that its too small for me.

I'm 6'1" with a 34-34.5 inseam.

Should I change my order for an XL?

BTW, I cannot try them in store... no one has any Altitude left anywhere :P

Thanks

Dan

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If it helps any, I am 6.5 rode an XL element 950was too small for me and changed it to a XXL.

This frame seize is perfect for me.

Here is Santa Cruz sizing chart for their tallboy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Altitude 2014 Sizing-sc-seize.jpg  

ups and downs
    The 2008 19" Kona Four Deluxe has a 23.5" HTT which is only 585mm, that's the same as the Medium Altitude frame. At 6'-1" you almost certainly want to be on a Large with the 605mm top tube (I'm the same height with orangutan arms and the 600-605mm top tube fits me comfortably well).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The 2008 19" Kona Four Deluxe has a 23.5" HTT which is only 585mm, that's the same as the Medium Altitude frame. At 6'-1" you almost certainly want to be on a Large with the 605mm top tube (I'm the same height with orangutan arms and the 600-605mm top tube fits me comfortably well).
    I calculated, and 23.5" gives 596.9mm (not 585) so the Large TopTube is only 8mm longer than my Kona. You still think I need a Large? :/

ups and downs
    Damn those calculator buttons. Yes, 596.9mm HTT length. The 600-605mm HTT's on the Rocky bikes really fit me well, so unless you had an unusually long torso or arms (longer than my orangutan arms).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am 6'1" with approx the same inseam as you. I demoed a large Instinct 970 this year and loved the fit, though I like a very upright riding position.

I wouldn't go smaller than a large (in fact I ordered a large Instinct 970 MSL) personally.

Of course this is a different bike, but just in case it helps I thought I would share.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam. The large 2014 Altitude 750 fits me quite well. I was able to demo a large 2013 Altitude, so I felt pretty confident ordering the new model. Give me a few rides (picking it up from the shop tomorrow!) and I might have some more detailed thoughts.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam riding a lg. Only thing I changed to make it feel right for me was changed out the stem by about 10mm.

chips & bier
    Dan, your Four is probably a bit too short, yes. I'm just a hair under 6'1" with monkey-boy arms as well and ride an L Altitude w/ 785 mm bars and a 70 mm stem. Unless you intend racing it down most of the time a 85 mm stem would probably work pretty well if you need a bit more cockpit room.

If you can, skip the top tube numbers since the effect on your fit is muddied by the seat angle and seat tube offsets. Try measuring the stack and reach on your Four instead, and compare them with the Altitude figures on the RMB site. I'd wager the L Altitude ends up having noticeably more reach and will fiting you fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam riding a lg. Only thing I changed to make it feel right for me was changed out the stem by about 10mm.
    Really? What size stem r u running? I am the same size as you and was going to order an XL, but if a large will work that would be great.

mtbr member
    Mine came with what I think was a 60mm stem. I just sat at my LBS and started to change stems until it worked for me. They said 10mm longer over stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had finally changed my order for an XL. I just received it yesterday. The XL fits me really well and I'm glad I changed my order.

When ordered I thought the color was white with gray shadings... But its soooo much better, the color is brushed aluminum! Here is a pic

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bordeleau View Post
    I had finally changed my order for an XL. I just received it yesterday. The XL fits me really well and I'm glad I changed my order.

When ordered I thought the color was white with gray shadings... But its soooo much better, the color is brushed aluminum! Here is a pic
    Good to hear! The Altitude is a great machine - it will no doubt be incredibly fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That 750 alum is the best looking aluminum bike I have seen in person. Pics don't don't do it justice. Congrats! I'm torn betweeen that or the entry carbon 750msl