mtbr member
    Nov 2005

999 RSL vs Jet 9 RDO

I'm close to buying a Jet 9 RDO but am wondering if I would prefer the Element.

What I like about the RDO:
    - perfect fit, large Niners fit me like they're custom made
    - turning, I'm impressed by the Niner, especially in low to medium speed corners
    - no risk, I know that I'll like the bike
    - immediate availability

Why I'm interested in the Element
    - probably 1 pound lighter frameset based on what I've read
    - shorter chainstays by 10mm...I assume this to be a very strong advantage
    - maybe better durability?

Concerns
    - worried that it won't be as fast in the corners
    - might be more prone to pedal strikes
    - I don't think there's a dealer in Indiana
    - high risk...It could turn out to be an incredible bike that I end up not liking due to poor fit as I think I'm in-between a L & XL, or other reasons since I don't expect to be able to get any time on one
    - frameset-only not available till March per the dealer I called

Anyone with some insight based on time on each?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Fit is everything

At the Eurobike, I test rode the new Jet 9 RDO. I own an Element 970 and I didn't want to switch after I rode the Jet 9 During the test ride of the Jet 9, I felt the front was too sketchy on downhills. Apart from that, I really liked the Jet 9. But my Element is super predictable, also on steep downhills, where I felt tje Jet 9 was really nervous. I also didn't find the Jet 9 to be much better in quick turns on single tracks. The Jet 9 was outfitted with Racing Ralphs, the same tire and width that I use on my Element. Although I never rode the same trail with the Element, the nervousness of the Jet would (for me) be a disadvantage. I also had a lot of ghost shifts, but the mech there said that was unusual. He also said that a 120mm fork would slacken the ride a bit and make it more predictable. But I didn't get to test that.

So all in all, the Jet 9 didn't make me want to switch from my Element, eventhough my Element is the alu one and is about 900 gram to heavy.

mtbr member
    I would try to find the nearest dealer and take a road trip...it would really suck to get the wrong size!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the excellent input. It sounds like it would be well worth the effort to get a ride on one...or maybe two to determine fit.

For me, that the Element doesn't seem to give anything away in 'quick turns on singletrack' is a big deal as I know the Niner is very good in that environment.

zonoskar: assume you're on a 100mm fork? Is it prone to pedal-strikes?

mtbr member
    Yes, a 100mm fork. It does sit low, so the occasional pedal strike is inevitable. It's annoying, but I can live with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have to admit to a an irrational fear of pedal strikes. Several years ago on a bike with pretty good clearance I was spun-out on a very slight, fairly smooth downgrade. Somehow one of my pedals caught a small root and it was several months off the bike. I don't think I could have caught that root again in 1000 tries. So I'm a bit paranoid about that and will pay close attention when I get a chance to ride an Element..

I think that would be an advantage for the Niner, especially with 110 or 120 mm up front.

Also think there is more to the ghost shifting than your Niner demo host admitted. I'm pretty sure they can be set up to work, but maybe it takes both skill and luck. If Niner has trouble setting it up it shows just how temperamental it must be.