mtbr member
    Sep 2008

650 wheel on a RM Vertex 30 ???

I just read someone put a 650 wheel on a ESTX and it made the bike feel bigger. My Vertex 30 is a 18" frame. I bought a 16'5 and it had to be returned. Even with the 18", the bike still feels too small. I put a 110mm stem on the bike an a Thomson setback seatpost and no help. Will 650 wheels help make the bike feel bigger? Will they work on a 18" RM Vertex and has anyone tried these wheels out on a 26"er? Or, do I cut my losses and sell the bike to get a 19" frame Vertex or Element? I'm 5'9" with a 29/30 inch inseam. I prefer a 56cm road bike and I have a 17" steal SS 29"er. Lover both the road bike and the 29r. fit....

Thanks,
    Ed

ups and downs
    The front wheel won't have a lot of impact on the cockpit feeling short. It won't even affect wheelbase or front centre, all it would do is slacken the head angle a bit and change the fork trail.

An 18" frame would normally fit 5'-9" to 5'-11" pretty well. I'm 6'-1" with an even bigger wingspan and I feel right at home on a 19" Vertex or ETSX frame, so I would think a 19" frame would feel very long and close to the nads when standing.

What are the horizontal top tube lengths of your 17" SS29er and your road bike? That's the dimension that most affects fit. The HTT on an 18" Vertex 30 is 585mm (23").
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you for the reply. The 29r has a 612mm or 24.09 inch top top tube. I feel the longer top tube and the bigger tires is why the SS is so comfortable to ride. The road bike has a top tube of 56cm or 22.04 inches. The nags have a problem with the 56cm's seat and top tube length, but something less (54cm) is just too small. On a 54cm road I feel like my knees are sticking out. Like a circus clown on a tricycle...Any other suggestions? I can't keep buying RM's, eventhough I have my eye on a 08 Element 50. Again, thanks, Ed

ups and downs
    Is that a 24.09" HTT dimension on the 29er? That's a really long HTT. What length of stem are you running? I would think that would really stretch you out. Is the bar height above the saddle height on your 29er or are you using an inverted stem?

Even the 19" Vertex only has a 600mm (23.6") HTT. (Although I do have a 19.5" Vertex frame sitting around with a 23.75" HTT).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The 29" is a 07 GT Peace 9r SS. The standover is 723mm or 28.5", again seat tube is 432mm, 17" and the TT length is 612mm or 24". And I'm running stock WTB 29x2.30" ExiWolf tires. I have a 100mm stem 6 degree rise. The Vertex 30 came with a 105mm Easton 7 deg. rise. I have a bad neck so my LBS suggested a shorter stem with a higher rise. They put a 90mm with a 35deg. rise. It feels bettter with the higher rise, but that might be my problem. Higher rise, shorter reach ??? Any idea what a 120mm with a 35 deg. rise would do?

Again, thanks for all your help. Ed

ups and downs
    A 90mm stem with 35deg rise would move the bars way back compared to a 100mm x 6 deg stem. Measure the distance from the nose of the saddle to the handlebars on your 29er and measure the distance from the nose of the saddle to the bars on the Vertex. Also measure the height of the bars above the ground on both bikes. That will give you a pretty good indication of the difference in cockpit setup.If the 29er is comfy, then see what combination of stem length and rise (or spacers) will put the Vertex bars in that position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll give it a try. Thanks, Ed

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    650Bs won't fit the vertex frames... I measured them out before I got an eclipse frame to use for mine. None of the rocky frames I measured would clear the 650 NeoMoto properly. All the sport XCs, the vertex and elements lack in tire clearance. Hell just a 26 x 2.2 is a tight fit on them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread