mtbr member

29er Element ABC Bearings - Grease

I've been thinking about the bearings in my new 970 and looking around have seen folks talking about wear in the main ABC bearings. So today I decided to open them up and have a look...

Well, not only was there no grease whatever, but water mixed with fine mud grit was already in there. It's muddy here, but the bike has seen literally 4 rides

They are now cleaned, dried and greased so the water will have a harder time getting in, but would you have thought they should be greased during assembly?

ups and downs
    No no no no no grease on the ABC bushings, they are a greasless bushing. Grease will just turn dirt into grinding paste.

Watch the service video...Rocky Mountain Element RSL & Element 29 Service Video on Vimeo
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    No no no no no grease on the ABC bushings, they are a greasless bushing. Grease will just turn dirt into grinding paste.

Watch the service video...Rocky Mountain Element RSL & Element 29 Service Video on Vimeo
    Sheeet!

So it's just the rear clevis washers you grease

The watery grit mix that was in them didn't look too clever though... are they just made for that sort of abuse?

Last edited by bonesetter2004; 11-06-2012 at 07:51 AM.

ups and downs
    You only need to grease metal to metal contact points between pivot axles or bolts and the washers. No grease on metal to carbon or metal to Igus bushings.

Which of the pivots has the water/dirt in them? Was it the ones with the o-rings or the ones without o-rings?

You do need to keep an eye on the amount of dirt/grit that gets in there. Especially if the dirt is quite abrasive.

Despite living in the temperate rainforest and having two seasons of riding on my Element 70 MSL, my ABC bushings were in good shape when I did the suspension tear down a couple of weeks ago, but other people riding the same trails over the same time period have had to replace their bushings a couple of times in two seasons.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You only need to grease metal to metal contact points between pivot axles or bolts and the washers. No grease on metal to carbon or metal to Igus bushings.

Which of the pivots has the water/dirt in them? Was it the ones with the o-rings or the ones without o-rings?

You do need to keep an eye on the amount of dirt/grit that gets in there. Especially if the dirt is quite abrasive.

Despite living in the temperate rainforest and having two seasons of riding on my Element 70 MSL, my ABC bushings were in good shape when I did the suspension tear down a couple of weeks ago, but other people riding the same trails over the same time period have had to replace their bushings a couple of times in two seasons.
    With all the problems they are having......I think some testing of options is in order...

So you say no grease it will grind up the bearings...yet without grease the bearings are getting ground up?????

Time to move on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    Sheeet!

So it's just the rear clevis washers you grease

The watery grit mix that was in them didn't look too clever though... are they just made for that sort of abuse?

No they are not made for that wort of abuse, as indicated by the previous posts and threads on this issue.

mtbr member

It was the shock pivot arm bolts and covers I removed, and the surface of the conical ABC bearing surface had the much on it.In fact all of them were wet (I usually hose down after rides with low pressure and brush etc - not even any muc remover)

I'll fetch them back out and get something like brake cleaner to remove the grease

ups and downs
    More info on the Igus bushings

igusŪ - The 5 Major Benefits of Plastic Bearings

mtbr member
    May 2011
    good lord thats a whole lot of maintenance! i thought my Altitude was a bit of a pain...i take that back LOL

then again, most of the newer style of frames have the same amount of pivot points, but with smaller weaker sized bearings. At least RM provides DIY videos to lend a hand.

chips & bier
    Apart from needing 5 hands when assembling the link's lower (seatstay) bearings its it actually takes very little time. I took the upper pivot apart on holiday after trying to move my slipped sag indicator by hand (---> note; don't try that on the trail - I cut right into my thumb and bled all the way home...) and it was no more than a minute's work taking it all apart.