Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2016 Bikes

46K views 117 replies 32 participants last post by  CannondaleF9 
#1 ·
#6 ·
2016 Thunderbolt MSL 790 BC Edition in Calgary...

Flat black rather than blue. Spec looks identical to last year unless the Pike and Debonair have had updates to internals for 2016?

The WTB saddle no longer has a maple leaf motif... :(

Not a fan of the new corporate font, but seems to be in keeping with some of the other (Rock Shox, Maxxis) branding.

#13 ·
Love the ride but still too early to tell as I'm migrating from a very fast XC bike. Right now it climbs surprisingly well, but a little slower (or I need to adjust better) in the tight stuff. I actually miss the "Brain", as I'm still getting used to switching modes and trying to ride in "Open". I move to thunderbolt to get some more front end travel and get into 27.5 bike as the Epic was carrying a very tall front end. So far I can tell it will be soak up way more stuff and it will let me just steam roll over stuff, but I need to adjust to letting the front end dig in more vs XC you really feel the corner upfront. I'll be trialling on more technical trails soon , where I'm sure it will shine.

#24 ·
Beachbum1 and bluenose, a shorter chainstay instinct is exactly what I've been hoping for too! No need for a front derailleur these days with 1x drivetrains working so well, should be able to chop 3/4 of an inch off the current chainstays and still leave lots of room for a real tire. I bet we'll see or hear something at crankworx Whistler in August if that's what they're planning.

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
I was told the Element specs, both 970 and 990 models will have the same wheels and as usual, one is spec'ed xt/xtr and the other full xtr.

The color will also probably match those of the Vertex's posted above, which means the 970 will likely be blue as above, I prefer the black scheme

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.