2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct

Any opinions?
    I am considering the Instinct 930 or 950
    other options:
    Trek Fuel EX7 or the EX8
    Scott Genius 940
    Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

ups and downs
    If you want the dropper post you'll need to step up the 970MSL. The essential ride quality/character is the same as the 2013 model. Have a read through these threads...

2013 Instinct FAQs

Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I too am very interested in this bike. I currently own a santa cruz nomad and am wanting to get something with bigger wheels that will pedal a little better. How capable is this bike as an all mountain bike? I would probably run a pike fork with it. Can the instinct ride as aggressively as a Tallboy LTc? I had a chance to demo the LTc which I really enjoyed. However, I am kind of in between sizes on the santa cruz. The large rode great but is a little too small in the cockpit and the XL feels too tall. I really like the look of the rocky frames.

29ers Forever
    I test rode a 2013 Instinct 950 today. Granted I rode it on pavement, it was rough beat up pavement. The bike was a bit stiff, but was very smooth. The shock operated exactly when it needed to, and helped push the rear wheel down when climbing. I want this bike!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I test rode the 2013 970 and loved it. It went up much better than my Giant Reign, and for me, descended just as well, and in some conditions better. The bike was set up more in the "climb" setting of Ride 9 but it still felt nice and stable.

The place where I saw a downhill advantage over my Giant was on steeper roll downs, braking bumps, and medium size obstacles. The trail I tested on had some tight sections, but nothing super tight so I cannot comment on really tight single track.

Up hill it was no contest. My Giant requires lots of body movement to keep the front down while tech climbing, but the Instinct just crawled up everything.

I liked the ride enough that I ordered a 970 MSL for this upcoming season. It looks like I missed out on the initial run so no bike till spring, but I can't wait.

(I was originally going to get the 950 MSL, but I would have added a dropper post anyways, and then the difference in price for the carbon rear triangle and all XT was too good to pass up)

ups and downs
    My 2014 Instinct 999 MSL frame arrived today. 2460gms (5.42 pounds) in an 18.5" (large).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1023new0005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Beauty of a frame...on the verge of ordering one myself and building it up as a nimble trail-bomb with a 140mm pike upfront, and a 2x10 drive.

Enjoy yours!

29ers Forever
    I am still wondering if I should go Full Suspension. I know that they have better traction and comfort, but hardtails are simpler to maintain and the steel hardtails I have been looking at: El Mariachi, Honzo, Trans-Am 29, ROS9 are less money than any full suspension bike while packing better components for the price.
    I don't know what I will choose, but I still have a while to wait, as I am continuously putting money into my Cobia

ups and downs
    The only reason to go full suspension from a hardtail is if your typical trails justify it. And the only way to know for sure is to take someone's full suspension bike on your typical trails and compare the experience. The Instinct wouldn't be the obvious choice if a hardtail is what you've been riding on those trails, an Element would be a better choice. 130mm travel bike is a huge jump (so to speak) from a hardtail, in weight and travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am currently riding a 29er transition bandit with a 140mm fork. I am either swapping that setup to an instinct frame, or i'll buy myself an altitude rally edition and change it to a 2x10 speed...sure the altitude is more bombproof and will be more nimble, but i am just not sure if i wont miss the 29er momentum in the more XC-trails...

Phil

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The only reason to go full suspension from a hardtail is if your typical trails justify it. And the only way to know for sure is to take someone's full suspension bike on your typical trails and compare the experience. The Instinct wouldn't be the obvious choice if a hardtail is what you've been riding on those trails, an Element would be a better choice. 130mm travel bike is a huge jump (so to speak) from a hardtail, in weight and travel.
    I ride my hardtail on the trails but not on all, due to roughness. I can ride everything but jumps and really rocky technical stuff. That was why I was thinking of a longer travel steel hardtail instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice frame Rocky, Don't forget to put up a pic of the complete bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When are you opening up a dealership then Rockyuphill. That must be you 8th/9th RM? I'm losing track! I've only got 3 and struggle to know which one to take out
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

ups and downs
    I try to keep it around 6 assembled bikes. :-) The Instinct 970 will be replaced by the Instinct 999 MSL version.

Quote Originally Posted by marmoset View Post
    When are you opening up a dealership then Rockyuphill. That must be you 8th/9th RM? I'm losing track! I've only got 3 and struggle to know which one to take out

ups and downs
    I found out some useful info.

The 130mm travel Instincts use a 32mm fork with 44mm offset (rake).

The 140mm x 34mm fork on the BC edition uses the 51mm offset (rake) to speed up the handling to compensate for the longer travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I found out some useful info.

The 130mm travel Instincts use a 32mm fork with 44mm offset (rake).

The 140mm x 34mm fork on the BC edition uses the 51mm offset (rake) to speed up the handling to compensate for the longer travel.
    first of all, congratulations to your beautiful Instinct MSL. This thing rocks!!

Thanks for your Information about the offset used on the BC Edit.

Here in Europe the Frameset is available end of April/Mai, and way too expensive.... :-((

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Still doubting between this beauty and the altitude rally edition...damn, what a luxury dilemma :s

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Philledan View Post
    Still doubting between this beauty and the altitude rally edition...damn, what a luxury dilemma :s
    I would choose the Instinct, as it has a 140mm fork and 130mm shock. As well as being a 29er.

ups and downs
    Some progress on the assembly, installing Gore Ride-On cables, so that's taking a while to get sorted. But coming together. I'm using my last 3x9 drivetrain for now as it was the lightest one I had with the low gearing I wanted. Maybe a 1x11 is in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1102new0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Some progress on the assembly, installing Gore Ride-On cables, so that's taking a while to get sorted. But coming together. I'm using my last 3x9 drivetrain for now as it was the lightest one I had with the low gearing I wanted. Maybe a 1x11 is in the future.
    Rocky, I'm running 1x11 with a 26t front chainring from wolf tooth components on my altitude. I think this would be a good setup for a 29'er as well. Really happy with the performance of the wolf tooth.

ups and downs
    OK, all built with the Gore cables all sorted...

25.99 pounds ready to roll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1103new0016.jpg  

2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1103new0014.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

29ers Forever

Sweet bike!

mtbr member

beautiful!!

ups and downs
    New Rocky Instinct MSL video

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Your pictures and that video makes waiting for my 970 MSL even more difficult.

Looking at the pictures Wade is running Marzocchi fork and something non-fox rear shock. Anyone know which fork and rear shock? I am assuming it is a sponsorship thing, but maybe a preference?

ups and downs
    In the end I only poached the Fox Float 130mm x 32mm fork from the Instinct 970 to assemble the 999 MSL, so I had a mostly built Instinct 970 that needed a fork. And then I happened to find a brand shiny new Fox 34 Float 29 fork on sale so I figured, "Hey, I could BC Edition-ify the Instinct 970 to make it more marketable here." So here is the Instinct 970 with the burly fork and some chubby and sticky tires, a Maxxis Minion DHR rear and a Schwalbe Hans Dampf front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1128new0003.jpg  

2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1128new0004.jpg  

29ers Forever
    In the end I only poached the Fox Float 130mm x 32mm fork from the Instinct 970 to assemble the 999 MSL, so I had a mostly built Instinct 970 that needed a fork. And then I happened to find a brand shiny new Fox 34 Float 29 fork on sale so I figured, "Hey, I could BC Edition-ify the Instinct 970 to make it more marketable here." So here is the Instinct 970 with the burly fork and some chubby and sticky tires, a Maxxis Minion DHR rear and a Schwalbe Hans Dampf front.
    That 970 LT Instinct you built up looks tough.

ups and downs
    It's a subtle but noticeable change in head angle and BB height. It doesn't capture as well as I'd like in the photos because the 970 is leaning slightly against the 999 to keep them from falling over.

If I measure the actual BB centre height, the 970 has a BB height of 13.125" and the 999 MSL is 13.1875". The bigger tires on the 970 will play into that as well.

Normally the slack head angle Ride 9 Setting 6 has a 39.6mm BB drop and the more XC Setting 1 had a 68.5deg headangle and a 30mm BB drop. With the longer fork, in the setting 6 position, the BB drop is closer to 30mm. The Setting 6 on the 970 with the long fork has a head angle closer to 67.5deg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1129new0003.jpg  

2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1129new0004.jpg  

29ers Forever
    It's a subtle but noticeable change in head angle and BB height. It doesn't capture as well as I'd like in the photos because the 970 is leaning slightly against the 999 to keep them from falling over.

If I measure the actual BB centre height, the 970 has a BB height of 13.125" and the 999 MSL is 13.1875". The bigger tires on the 970 will play into that as well.

Normally the slack head angle Ride 9 Setting 6 has a 39.6mm BB drop and the more XC setting had 30mm BB drop. With the longer fork, in the setting 6 position, the BB drop is closer to 30mm.
    That is a nice stable. Carbon 130mm racing bike and a 140/130mm Alloy play bike.
    I am jealous.

ups and downs
    Well, realistically I expect the 970 LT BC edition will be finding a new home in the next little while...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rockyuphill, on your new carbon Instinct, is the first water bottle location more usable than last year? Any contact with the shock when taking a bottle out? And there's a second bottle mount on the down-tube right?

Trying to figure out my bike for the spring, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an Instinct 970 MSL.

ups and downs
    I don't use water bottles, I'm a hydration pack sort of guy, so I couldn't say for sure. There is another WB mount location on the bottom of the downtube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 2014 Instinct 999 MSL frame arrived today. 2460gms (5.42 pounds) in an 18.5" (large).
    Hi
    I have the RM instinct on my short list of 29ers and was reading this thread.
    I see you got the large frame. How tall are you?
    Thanks

ups and downs
    6'-1" tall, fits well with a 90mm stem, the 70mm stem it shipped with made it too cramped.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My Large Instinct 970 MSL arrived Saturday (I wasn't expecting it until the spring) along with a whole bunch of snow.

So now I need to figure out the minimum distance I need to drive south to give it a first ride.

2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-instinct-970msl.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Resurrecting this thread! Really interested in the 999 MSL Instinct frameset. At my height it's all about the XXL.

Are you guys finding that you have used Ride-9 to your advantage?

I hear good things about the pivot system too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As a clyde, I like that I can lower the postition of the shock and use less air pressure for my weight. Of course the ability to change the geometry speaks for itself. I have kind of settled on one setting and doubt I'll change it much.

Mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been riding my medium 999 MSL Instinct for a couple of months now and am very happy. I've tried three Ride 9 settings and settled on one that gives a 13.5" BB height. Seems perfect for my trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-img_6807-resize1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have the 13' 950 and I love it! I use it in full climb here in VT but in Utah I had it set at half. It was perfect.
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by vtchopper View Post
    I have the 13' 950 and I love it! I use it in full climb here in VT but in Utah I had it set at half. It was perfect.
    Where in VT do you ride? I ride @ Pine Hill Park and the STAB trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I guess that there is no way to order a 999 frame on the internet, or is it? I do not live in the USA.

ups and downs
    Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Where in VT do you ride? I ride @ Pine Hill Park and the STAB trails.
    Im on the board of STAB so those are my home trails.. I usually hit Woodstock, and Pittsfield on off days!
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by vtchopper View Post
    Im on the board of STAB so those are my home trails.. I usually hit Woodstock, and Pittsfield on off days!
    By Woodstock, do you mean the trails at the aqueduct?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Can anyone tell me what crown offset is used on the Instinct BC edition?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at Instinct's geometry and quite surprised with it! ETT (effective tip tube) is quite short in my opinion. I compared it with those Track EX, Scott Genius and Specialized Stampjumper FSR from the first post. All these bikes have longer ETT.
    You, guys, who's riding RM Instinct, do you have any problems with that shorten ETT?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have done 240'000 ft ascent in the past 4 months with my new carbon Instinct, and no problems with the geometry. However, see this issue which was annoying but easily resolved.

Also, I am currently noticing some worrisome bobbing of the fork (Magura eLect) when braking during long downhill tarmac stretches at 40-50km/h. But that may be an issue with the fork or (more probably) the brakes rather than the frame.

Mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I own a carbon Instinct and agree that the ETT is a little on the short side. I'm 5'9" and have a medium frame. To feel comfortable, I had to slide the seat back, but also trimmed the bars to 720mm.

I realize I could be riding a large, but am glad I chose medium for the shorter wheel base. As for the ride, I couldn't be happier - it's technically very capable for such a fast bike. The Ride 9 system is brilliant.

President of the Internet
    I'm 6'1'' and ride and XL. Have never noticed a short TT or thought it was a detriment. With those big wheel it seems right to me.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast