I am considering the Instinct 930 or 950
    other options:
    Trek Fuel EX7 or the EX8
    Scott Genius 940
    Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

ups and downs
    If you want the dropper post you'll need to step up the 970MSL. The essential ride quality/character is the same as the 2013 model. Have a read through these threads...

2013 Instinct FAQs

Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I too am very interested in this bike. I currently own a santa cruz nomad and am wanting to get something with bigger wheels that will pedal a little better. How capable is this bike as an all mountain bike? I would probably run a pike fork with it. Can the instinct ride as aggressively as a Tallboy LTc? I had a chance to demo the LTc which I really enjoyed. However, I am kind of in between sizes on the santa cruz. The large rode great but is a little too small in the cockpit and the XL feels too tall. I really like the look of the rocky frames.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I test rode a 2013 Instinct 950 today. Granted I rode it on pavement, it was rough beat up pavement. The bike was a bit stiff, but was very smooth. The shock operated exactly when it needed to, and helped push the rear wheel down when climbing. I want this bike!

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I test rode the 2013 970 and loved it. It went up much better than my Giant Reign, and for me, descended just as well, and in some conditions better. The bike was set up more in the "climb" setting of Ride 9 but it still felt nice and stable.

The place where I saw a downhill advantage over my Giant was on steeper roll downs, braking bumps, and medium size obstacles. The trail I tested on had some tight sections, but nothing super tight so I cannot comment on really tight single track.

Up hill it was no contest. My Giant requires lots of body movement to keep the front down while tech climbing, but the Instinct just crawled up everything.

I liked the ride enough that I ordered a 970 MSL for this upcoming season. It looks like I missed out on the initial run so no bike till spring, but I can't wait.

(I was originally going to get the 950 MSL, but I would have added a dropper post anyways, and then the difference in price for the carbon rear triangle and all XT was too good to pass up)

ups and downs
    My 2014 Instinct 999 MSL frame arrived today. 2460gms (5.42 pounds) in an 18.5" (large).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1023new0005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Beauty of a frame...on the verge of ordering one myself and building it up as a nimble trail-bomb with a 140mm pike upfront, and a 2x10 drive.

Enjoy yours!

I am still wondering if I should go Full Suspension. I know that they have better traction and comfort, but hardtails are simpler to maintain and the steel hardtails I have been looking at: El Mariachi, Honzo, Trans-Am 29, ROS9 are less money than any full suspension bike while packing better components for the price.
    I don't know what I will choose, but I still have a while to wait, as I am continuously putting money into my Cobia

Forth Eorlingas!

ups and downs
    The only reason to go full suspension from a hardtail is if your typical trails justify it. And the only way to know for sure is to take someone's full suspension bike on your typical trails and compare the experience. The Instinct wouldn't be the obvious choice if a hardtail is what you've been riding on those trails, an Element would be a better choice. 130mm travel bike is a huge jump (so to speak) from a hardtail, in weight and travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am currently riding a 29er transition bandit with a 140mm fork. I am either swapping that setup to an instinct frame, or i'll buy myself an altitude rally edition and change it to a 2x10 speed...sure the altitude is more bombproof and will be more nimble, but i am just not sure if i wont miss the 29er momentum in the more XC-trails...

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The only reason to go full suspension from a hardtail is if your typical trails justify it. And the only way to know for sure is to take someone's full suspension bike on your typical trails and compare the experience. The Instinct wouldn't be the obvious choice if a hardtail is what you've been riding on those trails, an Element would be a better choice. 130mm travel bike is a huge jump (so to speak) from a hardtail, in weight and travel.
    I ride my hardtail on the trails but not on all, due to roughness. I can ride everything but jumps and really rocky technical stuff. That was why I was thinking of a longer travel steel hardtail instead.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice frame Rocky, Don't forget to put up a pic of the complete bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When are you opening up a dealership then Rockyuphill. That must be you 8th/9th RM? I'm losing track! I've only got 3 and struggle to know which one to take out
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

ups and downs
    I try to keep it around 6 assembled bikes. :-) The Instinct 970 will be replaced by the Instinct 999 MSL version.

Quote Originally Posted by marmoset View Post
    When are you opening up a dealership then Rockyuphill. That must be you 8th/9th RM? I'm losing track! I've only got 3 and struggle to know which one to take out

ups and downs
    I found out some useful info.

The 130mm travel Instincts use a 32mm fork with 44mm offset (rake).

The 140mm x 34mm fork on the BC edition uses the 51mm offset (rake) to speed up the handling to compensate for the longer travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I found out some useful info.

The 130mm travel Instincts use a 32mm fork with 44mm offset (rake).

The 140mm x 34mm fork on the BC edition uses the 51mm offset (rake) to speed up the handling to compensate for the longer travel.
    first of all, congratulations to your beautiful Instinct MSL. This thing rocks!!

Thanks for your Information about the offset used on the BC Edit.

Here in Europe the Frameset is available end of April/Mai, and way too expensive.... :-((

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Still doubting between this beauty and the altitude rally edition...damn, what a luxury dilemma :s

Quote Originally Posted by Philledan View Post
    Still doubting between this beauty and the altitude rally edition...damn, what a luxury dilemma :s
    I would choose the Instinct, as it has a 140mm fork and 130mm shock. As well as being a 29er.

Forth Eorlingas!

ups and downs
    Some progress on the assembly, installing Gore Ride-On cables, so that's taking a while to get sorted. But coming together. I'm using my last 3x9 drivetrain for now as it was the lightest one I had with the low gearing I wanted. Maybe a 1x11 is in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1102new0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Some progress on the assembly, installing Gore Ride-On cables, so that's taking a while to get sorted. But coming together. I'm using my last 3x9 drivetrain for now as it was the lightest one I had with the low gearing I wanted. Maybe a 1x11 is in the future.
    Rocky, I'm running 1x11 with a 26t front chainring from wolf tooth components on my altitude. I think this would be a good setup for a 29'er as well. Really happy with the performance of the wolf tooth.

ups and downs
    OK, all built with the Gore cables all sorted...

25.99 pounds ready to roll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1103new0016.jpg  

2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct-2013_1103new0014.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

Sweet bike!

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member

beautiful!!

ups and downs
    New Rocky Instinct MSL video

Instinct in the Monashees on Vimeo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast