Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 RC Instinct MSL- Tech help Needed for Dropper Post Install Please

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  teknorob 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I've installed a Specialized command post IR to my 2014 Instinct but i've run into difficulties. Unlike the reverb the outer cable needs to be kept static in order to keep the prevent the inner cable slackening.

The problem is I have to leave some slack in the cable running from the handlebar remote to the point where the cable enters the frame in the head tube, but because there is no way of fixing the outer, means it slides back through the frame and therefore slackens the inner cable so it won’t operate.

I have attached two pictures, where you can see I have botched it at the moment with some duct tape but this only works for while and I wanted to see if you had any suggestions as to what I could do as this must be an issue with any cable operated seat posts.

I'm probably just being thick but if anyone can make any suggestions or has solved similar problem, any words of wisdom would be much appreciated :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply, I have installed as per manual but unlike on the stumpy where the outer runs down the downtube before routing back into the post allowing you to secure the outer under bolt in clips. The instinct has runs all the way through which means the cable outer moves back and fourth when you steer. I have fitted a command to my norco sight which has grommets in the ports in the headtube which stop the cable moving. I assume this must be a problem on the instinct with any IR cable operated seatpost because you have to leave some slack outside the headtube so you can turn the bars.

The mechanic at the UK distributor couldnt offer a solution so I have emailed RC to see if they have any suggestions because i thought i must be missing something obvious. The duct tape works but its obviously not a long term fix :)

#4 ·
Personally I would run it to the top port as RUH sugested and feed the inner housing up to it with a plastic housing end on it. It won't help on the lower end but it will give you a permanent stop on the top. Or you could throw some o rings around the housing as well and pull them in but I don't know it they would stay in.

#5 ·
That's strange, that should be just like a full length derailleur housing, once the housing is in place and the inner cable has appropriate tension, you should be able to do almost anything to the cable without changing the inner cable tension. It should be able to slide through the frame port without a problem. That almost sounds like the cable housing is too short, much like the Instinct rear derailleur housing at the BB, if that loop is too short, it can cause mis-shifts at full suspension travel.

It would be good to check and see how sensitive the cable remote operation is, if you have the remote and the seatpost off the bike and you run the appropriate length of housing between them and set the inner cable tension, they should operate fine with almost any cable flexing and bending, you should be able to put a loose knot in the cable (below the point where it kinks).

It could be the reason that Rocky went with Reverb posts and the hydraulic remote, it was less difficult and time consuming to install in an assembly environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.