Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2014 Altitude 750 Rally Edition

Hey Guys,

Been searching around and trying to find some ride reports on the Altitude 750 Rally Edition. Lots on the 770MSL Rally, but not much on the 750, and with an aluminium frame and a very different fork, I'd be curious about 750 Rally specific feedback.

Curious if anyone has seen a weight on them?

How does the component spec ride? How's the fork?

Thanks guys!
    -Mike

ps: this will be my first foray into Rocky Mountain, kind of hesitant about the bushings in the pivots... my last bushing based bike (Banshee Rune) was a nightmare and felt like garbage (despite me buying grease fittings and routinely greasing the bearings).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just picked one up last month. so far im really enjoying it. Changed around a few things, put on shimano saint brakes w/8" rotors, answer protaper bars, standard seatpost instead of dropper, Koobi AU Enduro saddle, ditched the chainguide put on a granny ring, front der. and bbg superlight bashguard, Also switched out the rims to wtb i25's so could run tubeless, with continental mountain king II tubeless tires. and Ht aeo1 flat pedals. Weight is 30.6 lbs. Stock weight was 30.9 lbs. Fyi mines a size small i'm 5' 7 1/2". the xfusion suspension feels pretty good so far, I dont have much to compare too all my previous bikes have been coil-sprung. fyi if you demo this bike run the fork psi 20% lower than the recommned for your weight thats printed on the fork leg, and in the xfusion o2 shock put in around 70% of your body weight in psi. I have an xfusion vector coil on my santa cruz butcher (which is now for sale LOL), feels so good. Ill take xfusion over Fox any day. Might put an xfusion vector air on this thing down the road. Bike climbs so well, nice to have a 5 pound lighter bike haha. Feels great downhill too, feels more solid than its weight would indicate (not quite as plush and confidence-inspiring as my 40 lb transition blindside but hey thats the tradeoff right? But solid enough for 95% of my riding). I have the ride 9 system in setting 7 so optimized for descending and for a heavy rider. Head angle 66.6 and BB height 13.8." I think this is a true do-everything bike.
    Funny I also owned a Rune version 1 and am quite aware of the bushing problem. So I was also leery about the abc bushings. After talking to many lbs folks and others Ive concluded its hopefully a better designed system than banshee's and took the chance. Hope the bushings wont eat the frame!
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 01-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Narrowed it down between the 750 Rally Edition (to which I would make a few changes) and a well spec'd Jekyll Carbon demo with warranty (to which I wouldn't make any changes).

If the 750, would swap out the wheels for an Arch EX and run tubeless (I'm about 175lbs all kitted up), as well as a narrow wide ring and ditch the guard/guide, and put on my command post instead of the Hi-Lo. Stoked on all the ride reports from this bike, but for only a couple hundred more (after the wheel upgrade), the Jekyll carbon is very appealing....

mtbr member

RE: 2014 Altitude 750 Rally Edition

Arch on the rally edition!?! Aren't those prone to dents and tacos even for xc?
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well the original Arch's yes, but not the Arch EX, at least from everything I have read/seen. I am not, generally, that hard on wheels, so I'm hoping the same will be true for the Arch EX's if I go for those...

Have you had a bad experience with the Arch EX?

mtbr member
    I'm running Arch EX on my Altitude 730. I'm about 235 kitted out and have had no problems at all.That's XC and DH.

mtbr member
    No experience with the Arch EX. I kinda stopped following Stans wheels a couple of years ago so wasn't aware of the EX line. Also, i prefer eyelets around the spoke holes and back then Stans didnt have these on their rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bigmike go with the flow exs the wider rims are sooo nice with 650b and bigger tires. Or, take a good look at wtb frequency I 25'S or I23's. Also, I dunno if u were gonna run the altitude in the steepest setting but that jekyll has a mighty steep head angle at 67.8 degrees with the stock fork...altitude seems like a more modern bike with adustably slacker geo and 650b wheels. Geo trumps carbon!
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 01-10-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    I run Stans Crests on my Altitude. No problems at 160 lbs. Arch rims should be even better.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    dwyooaj,

How do you find the angles, with the 160mm fork, for climbing? Front end lift much? Seat angle still good?

I agree the Altitude has a more 'modern' geometry, but the Jekyll, with the 160mm fork, sits at about 66.8 degrees or so, so it's plenty good for descending. The adjustable geometry of the Altitude is appealing, I am just not sure how often I'll use it, although many people said they used it alot.

I am wondering if 4-5lbs of weight difference can negate wheel size advantage (especially only btw 26 and 27)...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Climbs great seat angle still steep enough. Isnt the jekylls stock fork 150mm? I thought u said u werent gonna change anything on that bike? 10 mm longer fork will give it around a 67.2 ha. I guess at this point im splitting hairs
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Waiting for the LBS to to give me a price on the bike with some Arch EX wheels. Nothing but good ride reports, provided shock and Ride9 are set-up properly. Want to try and get weight down as much as I can. Gonna drop the guide and put on a narrow-wide ring, swap out the Hi-Lo to my Command Post (yeah yeah) and some carbon bars. Hoping to get the bike under 30lbs (will be on a medium).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Seems like under 30# is totally achievable
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How do you find the Sweep performance? I had a 34 Fox CTD Adjust on my Sight 650b, and was really disappointed with the poor mid-stroke support and brake dive.

How's the low sweep support? Thanks for your input!

-Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Im so used to coil suspension this is my first air fork so im not the best person to ask; so far midstroke feels supportive yet smooth not more divey than my coil forks. Small bump not as good as coil but I suppose thats to be expected. I like the sweep better than the fox float ctd that was on the altitude that I demod before I bought, of course I only had 2 hours ride time on the fox.
    By low support do u mean bottom out resistance? It does that well so far, under my 215# a$$
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    More concerned with 'brake dive' performance. My '13 CTD Adjust absolutely sucked balls in that department unless I set it up stiff, in which case small bump compliance was the shits. Maybe I could have set it up better, but at the end of the day, I got tired trying to find that thin threshold. I've heard the RL2 damper has pretty good mid-stroke support to limit brake dive, but that is more from marketing resources as opposed to actual ride reports...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Brake dive does not seem to be excessive at all. the fox on the one i demo'd seemed to have more brake dive.
    '11 transition blindside

Proud lame eBiker
    If you're only reason to get the Stan's rims is to be able to run tubeless.....have your shop run TWO layers of Gorilla tape on the rim, install a valve, tire with sealant and go ride. From what I've seem the stock wheels hold up well, and if done with two laps of Gorilla Tape and tubeless tires it's a solid set up.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699 View Post
    More concerned with 'brake dive' performance. My '13 CTD Adjust absolutely sucked balls in that department unless I set it up stiff, in which case small bump compliance was the shits. Maybe I could have set it up better, but at the end of the day, I got tired trying to find that thin threshold. I've heard the RL2 damper has pretty good mid-stroke support to limit brake dive, but that is more from marketing resources as opposed to actual ride reports...
    I'm curious if you've heard of the '13 Fox CTD fork recall? The recall itself is in regards to some failures in the damper. Aside from the recall, the '13 CTD forks are infamous for their lack of damping in the decend mode (bad brake dive). You can upgrade the damper to the '14 damper, but if your fork is part of the recall, you'll get the upgrade for free. I did this with my fork that came on my '13 Instinct. The bike shop got the damper in just a couple of days and replaced it for me.

Further, if you are so inclined, as part of this recall Fox is offering the FIT damper as a replacement upgrade for only $100, normally around $250.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    I'm curious if you've heard of the '13 Fox CTD fork recall? The recall itself is in regards to some failures in the damper. Aside from the recall, the '13 CTD forks are infamous for their lack of damping in the decend mode (bad brake dive). You can upgrade the damper to the '14 damper, but if your fork is part of the recall, you'll get the upgrade for free. I did this with my fork that came on my '13 Instinct. The bike shop got the damper in just a couple of days and replaced it for me.

Further, if you are so inclined, as part of this recall Fox is offering the FIT damper as a replacement upgrade for only $100, normally around $250.
    I haven't heard of any of the Altitude (13') forks being recalled, anyone else?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It has nothing to do which bike it came on, if it is an '13 Evolution CTD fork, go to this link and enter your serial number, it will tell you imediately tell you if your fork is part of the recall.
    Model Year 2013 Evolution Series Voluntary Recall | FOX

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It has nothing to do which bike it came on, if it is an '13 Evolution CTD fork, go to this link and enter your serial number, it will tell you imediately tell you if your fork is part of the recall.
    Model Year 2013 Evolution Series Voluntary Recall | FOX
    That's my point. I don't think the Evolutions were specced on any of the Altitudes....
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think (again, think, not certain) that the 750 and 750 MSL are Evolution series.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Rocky mt forks part of the recall!!!

I think (again, think, not certain) that the 750 and 750 MSL are Evolution series.

He is right!

I just checked for my fork on my 2013 Altitude 750 MSL and the fox float on this bike is part of the recall!

I purchased this bike via jensonusa.com, it told me to go to my local dealer i wrote them an email asking what to do. I wasnt told anywhere i could upgrade my damper but this is interesting.
    Thank you for letting us know! How did you get through this process of repairing the fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just went through my local shop. I took them the serial number and the code I got from fox and they got the damper on the way. It came in a few days later then I took my bike in and they made the swap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast