Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2013 vertex: wich one?

I am going to buy a 2013 Vertex 29er, I have a good price on both top end models.

I have the spec and both bike have identical (frame, bar, stem, post) but have some "major" differences in the following aspects:

999 rsl
    -sid xx world cup fork
    -full sram XX
    -dt swiss 1.4 hubs/rims (OEM?)

990 rsl:
    -sid RL
    -full sram XO (s2200 crank)
    -dt swiss 1.5 hubs/rims (OEM?)

The bike will be used for a lot of training and racing. I know I like top stuff and LIGHT stuff. I am pretty sure I will be selling some take offs and replace them with lighter components I already have or will purchase like:

ENVE flat bar (got it)
    temporary KCNC stem (got it)
    when fit is dialed ill get a proper stem (length, rise, weight) (dont have)
    XX gripshift (dont have)
    sram quarq powermeter (got it)
    light seatpost (dont have)
    carbon saddle (got it)

so I will be selling brand new: bar, stem, saddle, seatpost, triggers, 180mm rotor.

What would you guys buy? I can have the 999 rsl for 1500$ more then 990 rsl.

ups and downs
    That looks like something like a 1/2 pound difference in weight of those identified components (wheels and X0 vs XX), but you have different cranks anyway, I would say go with the cheaper one then the only piece with the big upgrade potential is the SID RL to SID XX. World Cup and you could find an even lighter set of wheels than the 1.5's.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    You're probably going to need new brakes too. I don't know anyone that likes their XX.

The frames aren't the same color right? They're the same carbon material and geometry but they look different? I'd buy the better looking one and sell off the stuff you don't like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thanks guys

@ rockyuphill

is there any major performance difference between the sid RL and xx world cup?
    I cant find anything on the dt swiss 1.5. Do you have any links or details? I have some light hubs here that will be built into a light race only wheelset. Something like crest, dt revolution with my american classic hubs, with light rotors and a XX cassette that I already have here.

@ limba

same carbon, same geo, 999 black with a touch of red and 990 black with a touche of blue, I like the blue!

I like ym XX brakes... I guess the XO are pretty much the same..

ups and downs
    The SID RL has the alloy crown and steer tube with a remote lockout, where the SID XX WC has the carbon crown steerer, the dampers are the same, so it's just weight.

From what I've found the 29" DT 1.5 wheels are about 1700gms per pair. So some light Stan's 29" wheels or splurge on 29" carbon wheels and you could get down under 1500gms for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thanks rocky

yup will go with the crest handbuilt, the dt will make nice training wheels I guess.

I think I'll go with the 990 rsl, a lot cheaper, sram XO is still very good stuff, will ditch the cockpit and post/saddle anyways.

The sid RL should do the job just fine I guess.

mtbr member
    What are you doing with your old Vertex? The one you sanded down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    What are you doing with your old Vertex? The one you sanded down.
    no idea

it will gather dust in the basement I guess...

bah, maybe I'll take it when its ugly weather (mud, snow, heavy rain) or take it as a spare bike in case my new one has an issue.

Though I will be selling some parts off it: some new stanz alpine rims, an ENVE setback post, an XT front der, and maybe some small other parts, all cheap, I dont want to be stuck with em.

mtbr member
    If you buy the frame only is it the black and red one like the 999 or a different color? I don't see the frame only option on the website.

ups and downs
    That would be consistent with the 29er Element RSL, only the 999 RSL will be a frame only option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    IIRC from pricelist it was the 999 so i assume it is the same paintscheme

Not 100% sure though

Ill go with the 990rsl

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    oops, need to delete. bikes.com!!!!
    Last edited by urbiksux; 08-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone else surprised that the cockpit was IMHO downgraded for both the 999 and the 990 Vertex?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I personally think stem post bar and wheels were all downgraded from 2012. I wish it still had the 240 hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    I personally think stem post bar and wheels were all downgraded from 2012. I wish it still had the 240 hubs
    You are talking about the 990 on the wheels right? The 999 will still have the 240's

Good thing I just picked up a 2012, I was hesitant, but with the 2013 finally out and in my opinion a big downgrade over 2012 on the 990 it was a good call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly View Post
    You are talking about the 990 on the wheels right? The 999 will still have the 240's

Good thing I just picked up a 2012, I was hesitant, but with the 2013 finally out and in my opinion a big downgrade over 2012 on the 990 it was a good call.
    how do you know the 999 will have the 240? Im searching for those dt swiss x1.4 wheels but cant find anything about them.

Wheels are not important to me as I will have some light hand built racing wheels. I will also ditch seatpost/saddle/stem/bars

What downgrade do you see on the 990 except wheels? What do you think of the Sid RL? You have me rethink my choice now...

thanks for your comments

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    how do you know the 999 will have the 240? Im searching for those dt swiss x1.4 wheels but cant find anything about them.

Wheels are not important to me as I will have some light hand built racing wheels. I will also ditch seatpost/saddle/stem/bars

What downgrade do you see on the 990 except wheels? What do you think of the Sid RL? You have me rethink my choice now...

thanks for your comments
    For the 990 the downgrades IMHO are most of cockpit. Race face versus Easton carbon bars and post ( Don't care about the stem since know I will replace anyway as I dial the bike in). Since you already have a cockpit that shouldn't make a difference to you. I will

In the past when DT swiss labeled oem wheels the 1.4 were <1500gr wheels.( See Cannondale scaples) Only way to do that is with the 240s not the 350's even with the aerolights spokjes. So I am assuming they are 240's on the 2013 999. I did read somewhere that the 1.5 have the 350's hubs. The 999 wheels if built with 240's, Aerolights, and DT swiss 300 rims could come in at 1500gr with rim strips. I think you need to go to dealer and get some details on these new wheels since if they really are that light the 999 for the price difference you are talking for you might be worth it as you can probably sell those wheel for $800+ since you have your own or use them as backups. You might want to swap out those XX brake if you do go with the 999 as everyone I know that used them hated them and ditched them for XTRs this past year, but maybe SRAM fixed them for 2013 or you get a pair that works if so great.

I don't have any experience on the new SID RL, I do know it is lighter, but I care more about performance and durability than the weight. The XX WC carbon scares me a bit since I weight 210 geared up.

Oh and I love IKON's never tried the new conti's

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FYI I had a chat with the RM rep and he looked into those dt 1.5 hubs, He came back to me saying those were the dt 240s hubs. Nice

Not sure the wheels will be sub 1600g with dt comp spokes but they should make durable wheels

mtbr member
    I'm debating 990/970. I have a light set of 29" wheels (AM classic/Crests). Not real preference for Shimano/SRAM. SRAM spares are a bit cheaper here in Aus I suppose. Shimano would match my 26" element if I kept that.

As far as I can see the spec difference between those 2 outside of the drivetrain is going to be minimal. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Saddle, seatpost, the wheels are a big deal. I would rather have a good spare set.

Also the X0 is much better than XT esp the crank.

mtbr member
    Not sure I care about the saddle, I don't like the Fizik. And I dare say from the photo won't like the Rocky either... Cranks weight about the same AFAIK.

Think I'll probably go 970 unless the team gets an awesome deal on the 990.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

dt 240 straightpull.

i was just about to order some new hubs from CRC for my new vertex and then my brother sent me this link. Straightpull dt240's up on the DT swiss site.

can't find them for sale any where yet but are a huge improvement on a great hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 vertex: wich one?-240s_straightpull_cl_black_qr_5_100-1-.png  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am waiting for these and my lbs talked to dt. Swiss and they said late oct Nov.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    apparently the OEM wheels on the 2013 990rsl have these hubs... hope its true, such a great, reliable hub.

Should get my bike before the end of the month. I already purchased some bits to upgrade and lower the weight, among which:

-mt zoom XL flat bar
    -KCNC post
    -XX grip shift
    -ESI racer edge grips
    -Ikon exo tires

Now need to weight the wheels so I can decide what kind of custom build im going with, dont want to build some 1500g crest wheels it the dt weight 1500-1550g...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast