Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL preview

As a confirmed Rocky fanboy, I'm privileged to have reviewed or ridden every version of the Altitude from the first elevated chainstay hardtail to the racing steel hardtail to the 26, 29 and now 27.5/650b version. I had a hard time keeping a poker face while rockuphill asked me questions but now the article can go live.

Prices and review here- 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL 650b Preview | Mountain Bike Review

Another fine article on the bike by Mike Levy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 27.5 - First Ride - Pinkbike

and morgan

Rocky Mountain Altitude 650B | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice write up. Well done Lee.

Wow. I thought for sure the next bike I wanted would be a Norco Sight. Now I'm not so sure. Plus the fact that I can get a RM online or maybe even locally might just seal the deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well look at this. It's my bike but more sexy and more bad ass. Damn!
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    yeah its a bit of a kick in the nuts to current Altitude owners. Didn't mean it to sound so much like that but couldn't really hide that fact

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    yeah its a bit of a kick in the nuts to current Altitude owners. Didn't mean it to sound so much like that but couldn't really hide that fact
    It's ok Still love my bike. One day I'll make the switch. When I have a job and out of school haha.

I also recently started DH so the Altitude is not my only passion now
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Video embed - sorry for earlier wrong code

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great review/preview Lee - thanks!

I see that if you go to the ride9.bikes.com site now, there is mention of another bike called the "Instinct". I assume that is the 29er with less travel version of the same concept?

ups and downs
    Where did you find another bike option? I only see the CHOOSE BIKE: ALTITUDE. I had assumed it would be the Element that was getting the Ride 9. It would be great to see the return of an Instinct.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This bike looks phenomenal! I am not one to care much about wheel sizes and I currently ride a 2011 Stumpy Evo 26 which I love. However, this bike has really caught my attention. I am super excited for it to come out.

Lee- I thought the write up was great and the overall thoughts are consistent with all of the other write ups (nsmb, pinkbike, bikerader, bike rumor..). If everyone is saying that many good things, it must be top notch. I only wish they had the black and blue frame with the fox 34 and shimano build.. plus the bushings thing has me a little concerned, but I do think this may have to be my next ride.

Thanks for the review
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Where did you find another bike option? I only see the CHOOSE BIKE: ALTITUDE. I had assumed it would be the Element that was getting the Ride 9. It would be great to see the return of an Instinct.
    I see "Choose Bike: Altitude | Instinct", and the picture of a white bike with the numbers "29" visible on the tires...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCOgar View Post
    Wow. I thought for sure the next bike I wanted would be a Norco Sight. Now I'm not so sure. Plus the fact that I can get a RM online or maybe even locally might just seal the deal.
    I am in the exact same boat. Both of these bikes are tempting, and so far are the most "trailbike" oriented of the new 650b's. And both are quality. Thank you canucks! Well done!

Now for a northeastern USA resident to find dealers....availability might choose for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    I see "Choose Bike: Altitude | Instinct", and the picture of a white bike with the numbers "29" visible on the tires...
    Interesting the Ride9 widget just changed to offer no bike choices, perhaps an unintended cat escaped from the bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL preview-ride9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Interesting the Ride9 widget just changed to offer no bike choices, perhaps an unintended cat escaped from the bag.
    Huh! I don't see what you're seeing rockyuphill. Here's what I see:

ups and downs
    The Ride9 minisite displays completely differently in IE8, it has the Altitude/Instinct choice but the interactive dial is missing. "rotate the dial to optimize your ride" is missing a dial. Must be an HTML 5 thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL preview-ride9-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Read your review, could you please elaborate on the difference between the new Element 29 which you reviewed a month ago and this new new Altitude? Which one would you choose if it was an alternative to your Tallboy?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipjhl View Post
    Read your review, could you please elaborate on the difference between the new Element 29 which you reviewed a month ago and this new new Altitude? Which one would you choose if it was an alternative to your Tallboy?
    The Element is more uphill oriented than the Altitude. The Element is by no means a bad downhill bike but I'd be reluctant to ride a shorter-travel bike aggressively all the time; one would tend to wear things out. I suspect that one could get very aggressive on this Altitude.

I'd choose the Element29er to replace the Tallboy - that's an easy question to answer

To expand, the Element is a quiver bike to be complemented with another more downhill'ish bike. It could be a one bike to do everything if you're an extraordinarily aggressive, technically competent rider who lives in a place where technical trails are the exception and not the norm. Where I ride that isn't the case. IMO the Altitude is more of the one-bike-to-rule-it-all

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I see exactly what you posted rockyuphill if I check out the Ride9 site/app on an iPad, but on everything else I see what I posted. Weird...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    To be honest I didn't get that impression from your review. I mean you obviously really liked this bike in your review. But in your comparison you said that they both climb well and the new one descends better, but its not as though the previous one was a terrible descender. In your own words from the 2005 review:

"...the [2009] Altitude is an extremely capable bike on downhills. Its geometry (exceptional standover, relatively slack head angle) is suited for technical downhills of the more moderate xc, all-mountain variety."

Or maybe more likely, I'm trying to justify in my head not being able to have the new one because I have yet to build/try my 2011 Altitude 70 frame.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikefire View Post
    To be honest I didn't get that impression from your review. I mean you obviously really liked this bike in your review. But in your comparison you said that they both climb well and the new one descends better, but its not as though the previous one was a terrible descender. In your own words from the 2005 review:

"...the [2009] Altitude is an extremely capable bike on downhills. Its geometry (exceptional standover, relatively slack head angle) is suited for technical downhills of the more moderate xc, all-mountain variety."

Or maybe more likely, I'm trying to justify in my head not being able to have the new one because I have yet to build/try my 2011 Altitude 70 frame.

Apologies as it was a rather milquetoast comment. The observation about it being for more "moderate xc" contradicted RMB's boast that the Altitude 29er was designed for local trails and/or on North Vancouver There is almost no moderate xc locally!

If you live someplace where the trails are not as aggressively in your face as North Van then the Altitude 70 will probably be fine. Where are you located?

mtbr member
    IMO the Altitude is more of the one-bike-to-rule-it-all
    ...or would that be the Instinct 970?! Hmmm..
    NSMBA Member

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    ...or would that be the Instinct 970?! Hmmm..
    I'm head over heels for the Element 29er carbon

ups and downs
    Can a carbon Instinct RSL be far behind? The first Rocky FS bike I owned was a 2000 Instinct. That new Instinct looks like it would be even more BC Edition friendly than the 970 BC edition if it were in carbon.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Can a carbon Instinct RSL be far behind? The first Rocky FS bike I owned was a 2000 Instinct. That new Instinct looks like it would be even more BC Edition friendly than the 970 BC edition if it were in carbon.
    I can beat the snot out of the BC edition and ride it on anything short of 5th Horseman. The 26" MSL is already so gnar I can't wait to see how far I can chuck the Element 29er and the Altitude for that matter.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Apologies as it was a rather milquetoast comment. The observation about it being for more "moderate xc" contradicted RMB's boast that the Altitude 29er was designed for local trails and/or on North Vancouver There is almost no moderate xc locally!

If you live someplace where the trails are not as aggressively in your face as North Van then the Altitude 70 will probably be fine. Where are you located?
    Ya, the 70 will be more than enough for most of our trails... I'm out in Manitoba - where most of our trails don't look anything like my local trail below. But when I finally get the nerve to do the steep on that picture - then I'll reward myself with the new Altitude - hah!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL preview-dsc02921.jpg  

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've never ridden in MB. Closest were some races in SK around Blackstrap but that looks nice and burly but with a nice smooth runout. In Pemberton (for example) that'd be a intermediate trail but they breed them different out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast