Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL preview

14K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  dirtydoug 
#1 ·
As a confirmed Rocky fanboy, I'm privileged to have reviewed or ridden every version of the Altitude from the first elevated chainstay hardtail to the racing steel hardtail to the 26, 29 and now 27.5/650b version. I had a hard time keeping a poker face while rockuphill asked me questions but now the article can go live.

Prices and review here- 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL 650b Preview | Mountain Bike Review

Another fine article on the bike by Mike Levy
2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 27.5 - First Ride - Pinkbike

and morgan

Rocky Mountain Altitude 650B | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

See less See more
#11 ·
Wow. I thought for sure the next bike I wanted would be a Norco Sight. Now I'm not so sure. Plus the fact that I can get a RM online or maybe even locally might just seal the deal.
I am in the exact same boat. Both of these bikes are tempting, and so far are the most "trailbike" oriented of the new 650b's. And both are quality. Thank you canucks! Well done!

Now for a northeastern USA resident to find dealers....availability might choose for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Great review/preview Lee - thanks!

I see that if you go to the ride9.bikes.com site now, there is mention of another bike called the "Instinct". I assume that is the 29er with less travel version of the same concept?

#9 ·
This bike looks phenomenal! I am not one to care much about wheel sizes and I currently ride a 2011 Stumpy Evo 26 which I love. However, this bike has really caught my attention. I am super excited for it to come out.

Lee- I thought the write up was great and the overall thoughts are consistent with all of the other write ups (nsmb, pinkbike, bikerader, bike rumor..). If everyone is saying that many good things, it must be top notch. I only wish they had the black and blue frame with the fox 34 and shimano build.. plus the bushings thing has me a little concerned, but I do think this may have to be my next ride.

Thanks for the review

#16 ·
The Element is more uphill oriented than the Altitude. The Element is by no means a bad downhill bike but I'd be reluctant to ride a shorter-travel bike aggressively all the time; one would tend to wear things out. I suspect that one could get very aggressive on this Altitude.

I'd choose the Element29er to replace the Tallboy - that's an easy question to answer

To expand, the Element is a quiver bike to be complemented with another more downhill'ish bike. It could be a one bike to do everything if you're an extraordinarily aggressive, technically competent rider who lives in a place where technical trails are the exception and not the norm. Where I ride that isn't the case. IMO the Altitude is more of the one-bike-to-rule-it-all

#28 ·
I'm amped for the 29er Element RSL as a race bike for next year. But back to the Altitude 650b...

LeeL: In your review you suggest the new Altitude might be pushing pretty far into the range of the Slayer. Care to say more about that? The standard 'trail bike' for much of the riding around here is a Giant Reign, with Nomads also common. Is the 650 Altitude covering the same bases as those bikes? Geometry makes it looks like that is the case -- but the Altitude is pretty darn light.

#31 ·
Just did "Severed D**k" on North Shore yesterday, LeeL Missed the turn off to "Shorn Scrotum", but since I was going UP the trail, I think I remember the turn off. Sigh, will get it next time, hopefully.

So, the past few months I've had my heart set on getting a Element 50. But after seeing a Slayer 70 at Big Tree Bikes (no affiliation) this week and doing severed d. yesterday, I think I want a Slayer instead, or at the minimum a Altitude 750. That trail is one wild beast...

#41 ·
Check. Thanks for that reminder :)

There are a couple of other issues with the Slayer, as well. The 70 frameset is already sold out over here (gotta check on a complete bike) and the TT is so short that it would be a chore to get up the hill. My back's a mess and I need a relatively long bike to be able to ride for hours.

Thing is, I'm a bit worried an Altitude would still be too much overlap with the Element to justify another bike in the shed. I'm a pretty capable descender on the Element (nowhere near the regular enduro circuit guys obviously, but that's me, not the bike...). I'm just afraid I'll trash the poor thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.